PDA

View Full Version : Labor Day - End of Summer Photo Contest!!!

Julie Kenward
08-31-2009, 04:45 PM
I have thought long and I have thought hard about what the last contest of the summer should be about. First, we all reached out of our comfort zones with trying the other end of our aperture rings. Next we tried our hand at creating abstracts. Now...what to do next?

I decided this last summer contest should be another one that breaks us out of our normal routine so we are going to jump in feet first and try DUOTONES, TRITONES, AND QUADTONES!!!

Yep, you read that right!

Not sure how to create a duo-, tri-, or quadtone image? Read the tutorial from the OOTB section and that should help get you up to speed.

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=18370

Basically, it's any black and white image that you add colored tones to. If you add one colored tone, that's a duotone (black counts as the first color), two tones + black is a tritone, and three tones + black is a quadtone.

For this contest, you may use any image you've created this past summer that fits in the Macro/Flora genre but you have to create the duo/tri/quad tone conversion over the Labor Day Weekend.

Labor Day weekend (for those of you who don't live in the USA) starts this Friday and runs through Monday, 9/07/09. Work on your photos over the weekend. Post them on Monday, 9/07, and vote for your favorite one between Tuesday, 9/08 and Thursday, 9/10. Leave a comment in one of the images stating, "THIS IS THE WINNER!" and those votes will be tallied up on Friday morning.

Have any more questions or need more help? Send me a PM or google "Duotones" and read some online tutorials. The best way to know what will make a good duo/tri/quadtone image is one that makes a good black and white. If it converts well, you probably have a winner on your hands.

So get ready...get set...get busy!!!:D:):D