PDA

View Full Version : Pushing the Limits

Roman Kurywczak
08-31-2009, 02:55 PM
After doing many "standard" water lily images and seeing Francis's wasp flight......I decided to take one afternoon at longwood Gardens to push both myself and my equipment and see what I could come up with. I have been to ISO 6400 with my night landscape images......decided to see how it would handle the daylight! Not perfect.....but I do know how far I can push my camera!

Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 180mm macro hand held at f16 for 1/8000th of a sec and ISO 6400 and the MT24 twin lights at +3 power.....now that's pushing the equipment! Manually focused and petal removed off bottom in PP'ing. Noise Ninja run twice on the blacks and only once on the bloom.

Steve Maxson
08-31-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi Roman. This is a very nice result considering the extreme camera settings you used. Good job capturing the in-flight bee - this becomes the focal point of the image for me. The comp is a wee bit tight for my taste - but what else would we expect from you? :) :)

Julie Kenward
08-31-2009, 04:31 PM
Ha! I like the bee with his butt in the air! Did you even see that one, Roman? The other bee is perfect...sitting right on top and barely at that. Beautiful colors and lighting. For me, I'd like a sliver more at the bottom - it feels really chopped there. Those purple lilies you all are photographing are a dream plant!

Roman Kurywczak
08-31-2009, 04:38 PM
Hey all.....yes I did see the other bee Jules.....I even considered getting rid of him! Now....if I added more room....it wouldn't be a signature Roman crop!.....easy fix though!

denise ippolito
08-31-2009, 05:11 PM
Roman, That's why I love that camera- ISO 6400, that's insane!! Your main bee is very nice hoovering over the flower-but the lower bee is just too cute!! I think the details and lighting look great! I have to say I agree w/ your crop this time-I think the lack of room actually helps to anchor the image.

Dave Mills
08-31-2009, 08:27 PM
Hey Roman, Good job on this. Perseverance pays off and you have it! The image could probably stand a bit more on the bottom but not much.