PDA

View Full Version : white throated kingfisher

Loong-Tat Wong
08-31-2009, 07:20 AM
Hi
Made this image of the white throated kingfisher while it hunted for prey in my backyard. It was raining heavily and the bird was having a feast in the flooded garden.
Your kind C and Cs please.

Image details:
Canon 40D 600mm f4 TC 1.4 manual exp ISO 400 f8 1/60s manual flash 1/16 tripod

Ilija Dukovski
08-31-2009, 07:42 AM
Very nice composition, you did very well with vertical crop and horizontal perch,
great colors on the bird, excellent clean BG. The raindrops on the bird are great plus,
not sure about the rain lines, I'd probably clone them away.
Very pleasing image overall, congrats!

Rohan Kamath
08-31-2009, 08:13 AM
fantastic exposure, HA and BG... the drops and the rain line add very beautifully IMO...

Daniel Cadieux
08-31-2009, 08:54 AM
Neat looking KF - that is quite a thick bill it's got...speaking of which, I'd probably tone down the upper mandible. Although I'm not familiar with this species I'm thinking the blues are a little to glowing-bright (they seem very "electric"). Good comp. I love the perch and you got a good look-back pose. I'm with Ilija for the rain streaks in the BG...

Steve Zamek
08-31-2009, 09:30 AM
That's a mighty fine backyard bird! I love the vibrant colors (I assume they are accurate). Nice detail, especially given the rather slow exposure. Background is terrific. As already mentioned above, the droplets on the bird are a nice addition, but I find the rain trails a bit distracting.

Suzanne Huot
08-31-2009, 01:25 PM
Beautiful image ,everthing works so well ,sharp as tack ,but do agree with Daniel that maybe the blues are just a wee bit bright. Love the raindrops they add to the whole image

Keith Bauer
08-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Agreed. Wonderful image. Blues are a bit overpowering.

Aidan Briggs
08-31-2009, 08:59 PM
Great light, and the rain, and raindrops really add to it IMO. I would darken the pupil a bit.

Harshad Barve
08-31-2009, 09:32 PM
great compo , killer BG , awesome expo,
Rains adding so much in it
we have same species overe here and trust me their BLUES are electric here
TFS