PDA

View Full Version : Forest Falls

Elmar Venter
08-30-2009, 01:25 PM
Since I got such valuable feedback on my earlier Cascades post, I thought it would be a good idea to follow it up with another one of my favourite South African waterfalls. I really like shooting waterfalls. This is the Forest Falls which is situated close to Graskop. It has a "Lord of the Rings" feel to it. It is a bit off the general tourist routes, so it is usually quiet. I had a real challenge to come up with a worthwhile shot. I tried various comps, went back at different times of the day over a number of days. At the end this was the best I could manage. All comments and crits would be appreciated.

EOS 350D
Lens 17 - 40
f10
1/60

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-30-2009, 04:36 PM
Beautiful waterfall, wish you could of got around all those bushes and just focus on the falls, the trees on the left side are a bit distracting IMO. Did you get any other angels?

Roman Kurywczak
08-30-2009, 08:13 PM
Hi Elmar,
I'm with Kyle Marie......wishing you were able to get in fromt of the bushes too......while they do provide an OK frame to the scene....I keep wanting to see more of the falls and sky. The sun was out.....so never a preference for me while doing waterfalls.....but in this case a faster SS to freeze the water....keeping more detail/crispness in the whites.....would have been the better way to go IMO. You did very well with the tough exposure latitude....just wishing you could get in front of the bushes to get a cleaner shot.

Elmar Venter
08-31-2009, 02:02 PM
Thanks Kyle and Roman. These falls really caused much frustration. While I do have shots from in front of the bushes, somehow the comp just does not feel right. I thought the "frame" fitted nicely with the name of the falls. Will go back there one day and try something different.

Fabs Forns
08-31-2009, 04:26 PM
Too much foliage keeping the eyes from centering on the beautiful waterfalls.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
08-31-2009, 07:52 PM
Awesome waterfalls!!

Robert Amoruso
08-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Elmar,

Agree with others on a spectacular falls. The left side foliage overpowers the image but I like the right side foliage framing. Agree with Roman on a fast shutter speed for this one.

DId you have any other vantage points?