PDA

View Full Version : Sandwich Tern in stormy weather

Krijn Trimbos
08-30-2009, 10:45 AM
Hi all,

The coming month I don't think I will be able to post a lot since I am moving into my new house. I will try to comment regularly.

This was taken yesterday at Texel the Netherlands. Strong winds of more than 50 km/h created an oppertunity to photograph Sandwich Terns. As the populations in the Netherlands are recovering from a dramatic fall in numbers they are very much protected and normally very very difficult to get close too. However, with these strong winds they were hunting quite close to the coastline.

When I was in position I went for a shot showing the harsh weather these birds had to deal with that day. The terns moved to fast to track them correctly with a tripod. So I was very happy some turned out sharp as handholding the equipment is pretty challenging with those winds. I know the light will look a bit on the harsh side but my shots in warmer light all showed some kind of motion blur. Sometimes you really really need the shutterspeed! :)

Anyway I hope this shot shows what the weather was like yesterday.

C & C are most welcome,

Canon EOS 50D 1/2000 f8
ISO 500
Canon 300mm F2.8 L USM + 2x Converter
Handheld

Aidan Briggs
08-30-2009, 11:28 AM
Nice exposure, sharpness, and banking pose. Love the stormy feel. I like the extra space, but for those who prefer tighter crops, a vertical would work here too.

Well Done!

Harshad Barve
08-30-2009, 12:28 PM
I am loving it as posted , lovely feet ofstormy BG & nice banking pose
TFS

Axel Hildebrandt
08-30-2009, 01:22 PM
I think horizontal and vertical crop works well. I like the banking pose, eye contact and rough water. I might tone down the highlights some more.

Gal Shon
08-30-2009, 02:46 PM
<!-- / message -->
I think horizontal and vertical crop works well. I like the banking pose, eye contact and rough water. I might tone down the highlights some more. I agree with that.
The waves in the BG adds a lot too the mood and make a good sence of the weather.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
08-30-2009, 11:56 PM
Sharp image with good details in the white, love the stretch wing position too. I like the horizontal crop too, the rough sea in the background really tell a story here. Excellent image.

Dave Barnes
08-31-2009, 12:27 AM
I like the texture on the wings. very well exposed. Nice comp and flight angle.

arash_hazeghi
08-31-2009, 04:18 AM
killer pose against great BG, can't ask for more, love it as presented.