PDA

View Full Version : Please Critique This!

Dave Mills
08-30-2009, 09:36 AM
I'm posting this image so we can analyze the scene.If the yellow grass looks soft it's probably due to the strong wind that day. Shot this as a slide a number of years ago in Calif...

Cindy Cone
08-30-2009, 09:53 AM
I like the soft look, Dave. I also like the converging lines of the clouds and the landscape. I think I might increase the contrast just a bit to lighten up the yellows. I can't decide if just a little sliver off the top would work.

David Thomasson
08-30-2009, 10:34 AM
I like the soft hues and layering of the hills. The blue of the sky appears to me to have a tad too much green in it. Various ways to adjust that.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/4531/landscape2.jpg

David Kennedy
08-30-2009, 03:02 PM
There's so much about this image that I like that it kills me that the foreground grasses look so blurry. The lines of the dunes are graphic, and the blue (which I love) gives a nice, balancing negative space before the clouds come in at that killer angle. I do wish for more space at the top of the frame (some blue "border" for the clouds).

Perhaps, if you sharpen the foreground slope a bit, it would bring out some detail (but be careful not to get too much!) and make more sense with the rest of the photo.

Ian McHenry
08-30-2009, 03:48 PM
Hi Dave
Image as posted is a fine expansive vista.
Thought I might try a pano version.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Mike Fuhr
08-30-2009, 05:28 PM
Neat vista w/ a great composition, lighting and shadows. I would take about 1/3 off the top and still keep a bit of that large cloud without making it look chopped.

Connie Mier
08-30-2009, 05:42 PM
Dave, what do you think of this?

Dave Mills
08-30-2009, 06:54 PM
Hi Folks, So far I'm hearing some really good ideas. I like David Thomasson's color correction. Both Ian's and Connie's crop versions also work with the image.David Kennedy's suggestion to put more blue above the clouds, giving them a frame, is another interesting way to strengthen the image.
Thanks for coming up with so many constructive suggestions. I will definately try them out...

Robert Amoruso
08-31-2009, 08:01 PM
Dave,

I like David T. color correction - the way to go. I do not like the top crops, if anything I agree with David K. wish for more blue at top.

All in all a well composed image with great graphic qualities.

Now, with digital, I would use slow shutter speed to get the DOF and then faster shutter and focus on the grass to get that sharp and then merge the images.

Dave Mills
08-31-2009, 08:06 PM
Hi Robert, Interesting idea that was not considered...Will add that to my bag of tricks!!