PDA

View Full Version : Pine Warbler

Joe Senzatimore
08-30-2009, 08:01 AM
While "working" the Carolina Wren the other day , this Pine Warbler landed in the trumpet vine. In exposing for the bird the yellow trumpets were very hot. I wanted to try to save the image so I used a method of saving the whites which Fabs wrote in one of the forums. It seems to work well and only takes a few moments. While this may not be a "killer" image , I think it was worth the short time spent to save it. Interested in your thoughts. And THANK YOU Fabs. I'm sure this will come in handy in the future as well.

1000 ISO F5.6 at 1/640th

Cindy Cone
08-30-2009, 08:36 AM
Definitely a keeper in my book. I think you did a great job of saving it. I like the composition and the way the leaves to the left of the bird provide a parallel line to it.

denise ippolito
08-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Joe, I agree this is a keeper. I like the composition and I don't find it busy-it looks full of interest to me. The colors look nice.

Randy Stout
08-30-2009, 10:59 AM
Joe:
You did a nice job compensating for the exposure issue. There is good detail in the trumpets, which is always one of the things I check. If the image is truly toasted, you can bring the brightness down, but can't retrieve any detail in the image. I looked at the histogram, which shows the red channel slammed up against the right edge, but the image looks a lot better than the histogram!

I might try setting the blackpoint if you haven't done so already. I tried it just where the dark wing feathers go into the shadow by the upper trumpet, and it gave the image a bit more bite.

Nice save, and a keeper for me.

Randy

Aidan Briggs
08-30-2009, 11:18 AM
Hey Joe, this is an oriole, not a pine warbler. Image is a little busy for me, but I do like the overall feel here, and this is the kind of stuff that sells to backyard publications. One thing I would redo is the toning down of the flowers. Some of it spilled over on to the BG. I would go back and mask the area more carefully.

I would ditch the red border.

Keep them coming!

Alan Murphy
08-30-2009, 11:41 AM
Joe a sweet shot of a female Orchard Oriole.

Harshad Barve
08-30-2009, 12:22 PM
lovely image , nice expo and details
TFs

Axel Hildebrandt
08-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Great find, I haven't seen many orchard orioles around here. I like the sharpness and angle and would tone down the flowers a bit.

Joe Senzatimore
08-30-2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks for the ID correction. When I first saw it I thought of a warbler because it looked small. Never looked any further , stupid me!!!!!!!!

Keith Bauer
08-30-2009, 04:02 PM
Very pretty image. For some reason the colors look a bit odd. Hope you don't mind.... I downloaded your image and made a couple of adjustments. The first thing I discovered is that your original did not have an embedded color profile. I assigned an sRGB color profile to the image. Then I toned the flowers down just a bit.

Stu Bowie
08-30-2009, 11:45 PM
I like how the flowers spread out beneath him. Well exposed, and overall nice and sharp.