Lens EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
Focal Length 125.0 mm
Shooting Date/Time Late afternoon
Shutter Speed 1/160Sec.
Aperture F3.5
Metering Modes Evaluative metering
Exposure Compensation 0
ISO Speed 200

This redtail was in a tree in front of me with the sun at its back when it so kindly flew to within 15 feet of me as the sun was setting. I was able to take a few photographs before the sun set and the bird grew tired of staring at me and took to the air.

C&C always welcomed and appreciated

Jason

Gautam Biswas
02-09-2008, 02:22 PM
This is a nice image of the bird. Th eyes are sharp and with a catchlight. The warm light gives the impression of the dusk. What I wonder is on the composition, I think it is too much to the left of the frame. A vertical crop might have been better but the snow in the BG would look odd unless you clone it off.

Doug Brown
02-09-2008, 02:24 PM
Nice pose Jason. This is an image that would benefit from a little more sharpening, particularly the eye. You could consider using a higher ISO with your 5D; that would let you use a smaller aperture, faster shutter speed, or both. That might help with the sharpness.

Maxis Gamez
02-09-2008, 06:32 PM
Hi Jason,

The composition works for me, but the snow is a huge distraction. I would also add more sharpening to the image.

Jason Ambler
02-09-2008, 11:41 PM
Gautam, Doug and Maxis,

Thank you for your comments they are much appreciated. I agree that the image could be sharper but I think I may be at the edge of my ability to sharpen since when I try and increase it any more it shows noise in the image. The initial image was not as sharp as I would have liked because 1) I was handholding the lens 2) I had it on AI SERVO since I thought he was going to fly toward me not land in front of me. I know I have to learn to use the buttons on the camera like it was second nature (I'm working on it).

I have tried some of the suggestions (I'm not trying to save the image as I know technically it is lacking but I am trying to learn just the same). In the new image...Removed snow, changed composition and a little more sharpening. Better or worse?

Thanks for looking again,

Jason

Anita Rakestraw
02-10-2008, 12:38 AM
Looks better to me with the modifications. I would be thrilled to have taken this! I'd definitely keep it until I got a better one!

Axel Hildebrandt
02-10-2008, 07:49 AM
The repost is much improved. Just another round of sharpening. Maybe like this:

Jason Ambler
02-10-2008, 11:26 PM
Thank you Anita for your kind comment and Axel for your suggestion to sharpen further.

Jason