PDA

View Full Version : Playing grey seals

Krijn Trimbos
01-02-2008, 09:53 AM
This was taken 1,5 months ago in England. Since the weather was great at the end of the day I ended up with a lot of shots of seals playing in the surf. I admid that the wave behind the heads is kind of distracting, maybe a lower shooting angle will help me next time.

Thanks for watching,

Canon EOS 30D 1/640 f8
ISO 400
Canon 100-400 L IS USM
Focal Length 285mm
RAW
M490 G1325

David Kennedy
01-02-2008, 01:27 PM
Welcome to BPN, Krijn!

The sun angle and animal behavior are all very good in this image. However, the head angle leave something to be desired: the seal in the foreground has its head turned away from the viewer, and it would be nice to have at least one of them making more of a connection to the viewer. I have no problem with the other seal sticking its chin up to be scratched, but because its eyes simply cannot make eye contact, it would be nice if the other seal did.

Krijn Trimbos
01-02-2008, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the comment David, but I respectfully dissagree here. For me this shot is about the (inter)action between the two seals, if the right one would turn its head towards the camera more that interaction would be much less powerful IMO. Probably an angle more to the left would have been perfect but I would have lost the good angle for the light.......

Cheers,
Krijn

Hillebrand Breuker
01-02-2008, 05:14 PM
Hi Krijn

You had some great light indedd. I love the interaction between the animals. A lower angle would have been nice, but, hey, that is a good reason to go back someday. Have you ever been to Helgoland? IS England better than that?

DanWalters
01-02-2008, 05:59 PM
I like the interation and the light. The waves in the background do not really bother me.

D. Robert Franz
01-02-2008, 06:15 PM
This image exhibits some grreat behavior and interaction between the seals. You had some fine light to work with and your exposure is excellent. As you mentioned the wave is a bit distracting but not terrible. As mentioned a lower angle may have helped.. I wish the eyes on both animals were bit more visible.

Krijn Trimbos
01-04-2008, 07:00 AM
Hi Krijn

You had some great light indedd. I love the interaction between the animals. A lower angle would have been nice, but, hey, that is a good reason to go back someday. Have you ever been to Helgoland? IS England better than that?

Hi Hillebrand,

I have never been to Helgoland, but Jasper told me the location in England is much better than Helgoland, at least for grey seals. Not sure about the harbour seal though......:confused:

Jasper Doest
01-05-2008, 05:40 AM
England IS very different to Helgoland....I've been to both and this location is by far my favorite. I personally find this one a bit too tight at the bottom and the left but you captured the behavior nicely in some great light! I wish you would have chosen a lower angle though.

Deano
01-05-2008, 05:57 PM
Hi Krijn
I think I know where this was taken. Yes, it would have been nice to have both seals making eye contact with the camera, but then you wouldn't have that impression of motion as one seal stretches it's head back.
I agree a lower angle would have helped. The one criticism I have is that I think you have over saturated the picture, post production. Easily done.