PDA

View Full Version : Daylily

Julie Kenward
08-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Seems like it's been forever since I've had time to sit down and really work on some images! I finally went back through July's daylily photos and found a few that needed a little polishing.

This is one of the ones that was blooming on a long (probably 50-75 foot) retaining wall along a nearby shopping center. The evening light would fill the blooms as the sun started to set and I got some of the best daylily images I've ever photographed there over the course of a two week time period. I wish the tip of the main stamen were more in focus but then that's what you get with the sun pouring in while you're trying to shoot!

Canon 40D, EF 100mm f/2.8 macro
f/4 @ 1/250th, ISO 400
Manual mode, pattern metering, handheld, no flash
Processed in ACR & CS4; pulled back the saturation of the red and magenta a bit and added luminosity to both.

Mike Moats
08-29-2009, 09:36 PM
Hey Jules, I like the glow on the tip. You are doing really well on this type of image.

Mike Fuhr
08-30-2009, 07:38 AM
This is beautiful. Love the composition -- I do wish the stamen was in focus at the tip though. Can you selectively sharpen?

denise ippolito
08-30-2009, 07:50 AM
Jules, Really nice colors! I like the composition and the curved lines look great. I too wish the tip was sharper. Nicely done.

Julie Kenward
08-30-2009, 08:52 AM
Guys, I don't think it's going to get any sharper. I considered taking it off altogether - maybe even replacing it with another drop from another image - but wanted to show the real deal first.

Ramesh Adkoli
08-30-2009, 08:55 AM
Beautiful colors, Julie. I like the abstract feel of this image. TFS.

Connie Mier
08-30-2009, 05:53 PM
You can't beat the quality of the colors and the design, despite the drop. It definitely would be more powerful if it had been sharp in focus, partially because the stamen seems to follow the pattern of the petals.

Roger Williams
08-30-2009, 08:47 PM
This lily is on fire! Beautiful, but I agree with the need for sharper focus.

Kaushik Balakumar
08-31-2009, 02:57 AM
Nice comp Julie. As u said, the stigma (or stamen) tip would have looked good if it were in focus.
I still liked the abstract look of the image. Nice rich colours too.
Will look fwd to seeing the stamen replaced image.

Anita Bower
08-31-2009, 02:16 PM
Jules: I'm glad to see one of your images! Glorious colors and light--they almost shimmer. Lovely composition. It is challenging to shoot in bright light.

Roman Kurywczak
08-31-2009, 02:39 PM
Hey Jules,
nice to see you got out! OK.....you'll have to show me one day how to get the lens to f4 on my macro!!! If that stem and drop were tack......this would be off the charts good! Sweet/unusual light......you are on to something with this one!

Steve Maxson
08-31-2009, 04:42 PM
Hi Jules. I would echo all the favorable comments above about colors, light, comp, etc. and also would wish for more sharpness on the stem and tip.

Judy Lynn Malloch
09-01-2009, 08:41 AM
Really love this Julie and the colors and composition are stunning. Do keep them coming !!!!!