PDA

View Full Version : Laughing Whitefish Falls

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
08-29-2009, 08:29 PM
I shot this the same time as the Munising Falls and did have the aperture right this time.
canon 20d
24-105 canon IS
tripod
f-22@5.0 sec
av

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-29-2009, 08:43 PM
I really like this picture, just wish the waterfall was coming down in the middle, I don't like the trees on the right side too much, the FG is awesome IMO, like the water and the leaves just scattered everywhere. Beautiful job:D

Ed Cordes
08-29-2009, 09:17 PM
Nice falls. I bet it is really roaring in Spring? I agree about the comment re the water being all on the left. What is the blue dot at the top of the falls? I would consider eliminating it.

Roman Kurywczak
08-30-2009, 01:17 PM
Hey Curly,
I do agree that the diagonal line does leave a lot of negative space on the right of the falls.....but I find the FG rock and leaves do bring you back somewhat into the scene. Ideally, you would have gotten a bit more seperation in the main focalpoint FG rock and while I like the leaves scattered in the FG also....the focus is the falls! I cropped off a good portion of the base (you still may want to do a bit of edge clean up)......and then a bit on the left and sliver on the right.....just to try and maintain a bit of the proportions. I think this emphasizes the falls and rock more....but let me know your thoughts. You may also want to try some clean up of the FG in the OP (if you are OK with that)....removing some of the "stuff" touching the edges.....may have a similar result......but still would go with a bit of a LH crop. Nice job on the DOF and SS.....I don't mind the sky dot.....but it may harmonize the colors more too.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
08-30-2009, 07:13 PM
Looks great Roman, that is why I do not crop just to learn how to frame it the next time I'm there. I'm ok with clean-up. Would it look ok to crop half the falls to keep the scattered leaves for a different look?

Roman Kurywczak
08-30-2009, 08:31 PM
Hey Curly,
I'm leaning no.....as a matter of fact...you may want to try a bit of in the field cleanup when you set up.......can you get out more to the left?...that may get yu some seperation in between the large FG rocks and minimize the rh side also.