PDA

View Full Version : The Devil Child

Lana Hays
02-09-2008, 01:47 PM
I am fortunate to have been adopted by several cats and dogs over the years. The latest is Mio aka "The Devil Child". Last May I traveled to Michigan for some warblers. I had stopped at the forest service in Mio and was given some new locations for Kirtland's Warblers. It was still early afternoon so I thought I'd check them out for lighting, etc. and then go back later. At the first location, I got out of my Jeep and headed back to the Jack pines. The next thing........I hear a tiny pitiful "meow"......followed by a series of "meows". Out from the underbrush this tiny black kitten came bouncing. He then jumped on my foot, wrapped his paws around my ankle and looked up at me with pleading eyes. He had obviously been dumped and I knew that if I left him he'd either die.....or survive living off the Kirtland's warbler nests.
I left him some water, drove 40 miles to Grayling to buy a kitty carrier/food. Then 40 miles back to get him and another 40 miles back to Grayling where I was staying. I had to sneak him into the motel....no pets allowed. After he ate he slept on my chest all night.
At that point I had to end the warbler trip and return home. The little guy got car sick a couple of times on the way home (9 hour drive). I had to stop to get him out and clean him off. I even called my vet for some advice at one of my stops......who laughed knowing I was a sucker and he'd gotten a new patient.
Mio is a wild little thing......chases the other 2 older cats, ambushes you when you go around corners and pretty much rules the roost. He's not the sweet, cuddly lap cat that the other two are......and plays very rough. He hates the vet who jokingly puts him in the top five "worst cats" he's dealt with. However, my family loves him and we all consider him a welcome addition. Now if he'll just settle down and quite hissing at everyone new that comes to the house!!!

Jim Poor
02-09-2008, 02:46 PM
He certainly has that "I'm the boss" look in his eyes. Great story. Just get him snipped, that should calm him right down ;)

Lana Hays
02-09-2008, 03:10 PM
He certainly has that "I'm the boss" look in his eyes. Great story. Just get him snipped, that should calm him right down ;)

LOL....He's already been "snipped"........that's why he hates the vet:)

Robert Amoruso
02-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Beautiful cat and image. You did him justice Lana with this nice portrait.

George DeCamp
02-09-2008, 04:29 PM
Nice job Lana and a beautiful cat as well. I think our Dog LuLu (little Maltese) would love to chase him around but I doubt she could ever catch him....and a good thing I bet too! :)

Anita Rakestraw
02-09-2008, 06:39 PM
What a beautiful kitty the little "devil child" is!! So glad you went to so much trouble to keep him!

Alfred Forns
02-09-2008, 07:01 PM
He has a beautiful head and the look of a character !!!! My girls like approve and think he is a hunk !!!! :):):)

Judy Lynn Malloch
02-09-2008, 08:17 PM
Oh Lana I love your background history on this beauty. What a very fortunate kitty he was to run into you . Just love this and such a heart warming story.

Ed Vatza
02-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Beautiful image, beautiful cat and beautiful story.

Sounds a bit like my Midnight and looks like her too. We got her of as a rescue kitty and could hardly get close to her. But I wouldn't give up and kept working with her. Now out of our five, she is the pillow cat. Good luck with Mio.

Speaking of which, I've been to Mio but alas at the time wasn't into birds. I used to go up to Grayling for the Annual "Trout Bum Bar-B-Q" and to fish the Au Sable, etc. A local outdoor writer took us up to Mio and told us about the Kirtland's. At the time, I could have cared less! :eek::(

Nonda Surratt
02-09-2008, 09:45 PM
Wonderful story and a happy ending, super image.

Fabs Forns
02-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Great story and great looking individual :)