PDA

View Full Version : Lunch (gull)

wendell westfall
08-29-2009, 08:15 PM
D70s 70-200+2X@140 1/1600 f/10 ISO640 -1/3EV handheld

Yesterday morning I watched Mr/Mrs seagull pluck this small sea urchin from the oncoming tide. As you see, the sun was coming from left to right, but for me the shadows added interest? NR and sharpening applied to the image. I tried to improve/brighten the eye but failed. C&C, please. . .

Thanks,
Wendell

Alfred Forns
08-29-2009, 09:41 PM
Looks good Wendell

Like the pose, behavior and bg Just a fine image and you nailed the whites Sun angle wise its not bad but if you can get it would have lit up the entire bird Don't mind the shadow is just the back end which is a little dark. Might be able to go in PS and lighten up ...not much .. remember the noise !!! I like it a lot !!! btw when I find one with something interesting will stay with it and try capturing flying !!!

Nick Palmieri
08-30-2009, 07:40 AM
Nice capture. The eye looks a little funky but I think it's the birds anatomy rather than any PP. What is the the white spot behind the bird slighlty above the tail? Bad pixel?? I would expect someone to comment regarding a lower capture angle but it works for me as presented.

Gus Cobos
08-30-2009, 09:03 AM
Hi Wendell,
I agree with Mr. Forns on the lighting angle...This is a sweet composition and capture, you have sharp details, with a good head angle and clear sharp eye contact. I would have liked to have seen a much lower capture angle, if possible...congrats on a fine image...:cool:

wendell westfall
08-30-2009, 09:53 AM
Hi Nick -- You've got a sharp eye . . . no, it is not a pixel problem, fortunately, simply a relection of some kind. I agree about the bird's eye. I tried to fix it but could not, so I left it "as is".

Bob Miller
08-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Hi Wendall. Nice exposure with great feather detail! keep um coming!

Jackie Schuknecht
08-31-2009, 10:02 AM
Bit lower would have made this killer Wendell. Great job with the exposure. Do you have any more room for the "virtual" feet:)

wendell westfall
08-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Thanks for looking, Jackie. Yes, and I think it would look better with more room for the feet . . .