PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Falls, Watkins Glen Gorge, NY

Ed Cordes
08-29-2009, 05:20 PM
I have been working to make more local images especially from the Gorge at Watkins Glen. This is Rainbow Falls early AM a few days ago.

1DMK2 with 20-105 @ 47. Evaluative metering at EV -1 and f10 with 4 seconds. Cropped slightly.

Thanks for looking. C&C most welcome.

Rene Quenneville
08-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Wow, what a location. I like the composition and colors. The upper right corner is too bright and attracts attention too much. You could try a gradient filter on that corner.

Jackie Schuknecht
08-29-2009, 06:40 PM
Very nice comp and this looks like the escarpment that makes its way up to Ontario Ed. I wonder if cropping out the dark rock in the URC would improve the comp. Just a thought. Love the green pools at the bottom.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
08-29-2009, 08:03 PM
Very nice comp ED, I would sure like to see this though my camera.. I agree with Rene too bright on top and the tree lower left is bright also. I played with it, darkening the top and lighting the bottom, cropping the tree. See what the experts say.

Ed Cordes
08-29-2009, 08:14 PM
Rene and Dennis, I like the top darker, but the repost is perhaps a bit too dark as the greenery was pretty bright in real life. However, I kind of like the LLC tree as is since, to my eye, it adds balance.

Thanks for your input as always. I will rework it in a bit and try a repost.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-29-2009, 08:28 PM
i really like this picture. the colors are beautiful, love the water flow, the rocks have and interesting shape to them, great job:)

Ed Cordes
08-29-2009, 09:04 PM
OK, here is my attempt at a repost. I darkened and desaturated the greenery URC and the bush LLC. I also lightened the rock in the URC using Jackie's comment about eliminating it as a guide. If I cropped it out to my eye too much of the rest of the image would have been lost. I did not eliminate the bush LLC as I like the pools of water and don't want to eliminate them.

Watkins Glen Gorge is one of the hardest ;places to photograph due to the high contrast even in early AM light.

Comments are still very much appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
08-30-2009, 12:51 PM
Hey Ed,
I see others commented on the UR rocks and I was going to recommend lightening them......which you did in the re-post.......believe it or not.....I explored a tighter crop than Dennis.......similar to his on the left but I eliminated the entire top rock with a crop off the right and top.....this also eliminated the bright log? at the upper part of the frame.....that is something you may want to explore when you are there next time in the field. I do like the way Dennis also brought up the shadows.....but the main thing here is that the flow was very low.....so the falls don't show up that well even in the long exposure......judging that I have seen a few images from you of the area.....try to go when the flow is a bit stronger......maybe even on a totally overcast day......you'd be surprised how much that light likes to bounce around and by being more diffused and even.....eliminates brighter areas greatly. This is still nicely handled with the conditions you had and tweaking the shadow areas will only help strengthen it.