PDA

View Full Version : New EOS 7D

arash_hazeghi
08-29-2009, 04:31 PM
Looks like rumors are legit http://photo.net/canon-eos-digital-camera-forum/00UL9W
A compact pro body like D300 with 19 point AF and 8 fps. However I am highly skeptical of 18 mpixel in an APS-C sensor, I hope this part is not true.

Axel Hildebrandt
08-29-2009, 04:58 PM
If this camera is more than a rumor then it will be interesting to see the high ISO noise performance.

arash_hazeghi
08-29-2009, 05:08 PM
If this camera is more than a rumor then it will be interesting to see the high ISO noise performance.

Yup, I look forward to seeing RAWs. It will be complicated if it turns out to be a fast solid but noisy camera!!!

Axel Hildebrandt
08-29-2009, 05:26 PM
I think I would not buy it if it were a 1.6x crop sensor. Chances are it would be even noisier than the 50D.

Jamie Strickland
08-29-2009, 05:34 PM
I will be amazed if the ISO performance is not better than the 40/50D & the 1D MKIII , if its not canon just wasted allot of money designing this

for sure its going to be a 1.6x crop

arash_hazeghi
08-29-2009, 05:42 PM
I think I would not buy it if it were a 1.6x crop sensor. Chances are it would be even noisier than the 50D.

Me too, I am already fed up with 50D NR, I took this photo last weekend, I had to cover myself in mud and withstand an awful smell :eek: to get low enough for this cutie, it was about 7:00 AM and I had to crank up ISO to 500 to get away with f/8 for DOF. I thought it would be a nice print but the original is so noisy anything larger than 1500 pixel doesn't look good :( It will be the end of my exciting journey with Canon if it is yet another noisy camera, but let's wait and see.

http://www.stanford.edu/~ahazeghi/Photos/birds/willetdpp.JPG

Interesting feature is AF, looks like it is similar to MKIII with 19 cross points without the assist points. Maybe this is the pro sports and wildlife camera and EOS 1 series will be combined into one full frame body.

Axel Hildebrandt
08-29-2009, 05:42 PM
I will be amazed if the ISO performance is not better than the 40/50D & the 1D MKIII , if its not canon just wasted allot of money designing this

for sure its going to be a 1.6x crop

It's kind of hard to defy the laws of physics. Oh well, let's wait and see. :)

Jamie Strickland
08-29-2009, 05:43 PM
saw this on potn apparently this is an ISO 6400 from the 7D, the exif data says it but who knows if its legit, if it is I am ordering one :)

http://www.invisicord.com/images/review/IMG_1325.JPG

EDIT it was a joke image ;)

Axel Hildebrandt
08-29-2009, 05:45 PM
Me too, I am already fed up with 50D NR, I took this photo last weekend, I had to cover myself in mud and withstand an awful smell :eek: to get low enough for this cutie, it was about 7:00 AM and I had to crank up ISO to 500 to get away with f/8 for DOF. I thought it would be a nice print but the original is so noisy anything larger than 1500 pixel doesn't look good :( It will be the end of my exciting journey with Canon if it is yet another noisy camera, but let's wait and see.

Interesting feature is AF, looks like it is similar to MKIII with 19 cross points without the assist points. Maybe this is the pro sports and wildlife camera and EOS 1 series will be combined into one full frame body.

The low noise is what I like best about the Mark III. I'm less concerned about the AF performance than image quality at this point.

Axel Hildebrandt
08-29-2009, 05:47 PM
saw this on potn apparently this is an ISO 6400 from the 7D, the exif data says it but who knows if its legit, if it is I am ordering one :)

http://www.invisicord.com/images/review/IMG_1325.JPG

Thanks for sharing the link. If they didn't fake the EXIF info than it is true and it does look good although it looks as if NR was applied. It would be easier to judge if they had photographed a bird, though. :)

arash_hazeghi
08-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Where did you find this Jamie? Exif does say 7D.

I hope it is an early beta sample for it is dreadful with so much NR and fringe,looks like even NR has a tough job massaging it, Never seen a Canon file with so many white and black dots it has no detail at all! Not good for us RAW shooters :( but let's hold judgement

Jamie Strickland
08-29-2009, 05:51 PM
yeah looks like NR like crazy, I just saw it here http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=8545269&postcount=151

Jamie Strickland
08-29-2009, 06:09 PM
haha someone was playing a trick, its a 50D pic resized actually, pretty impressive though

Axel Hildebrandt
08-29-2009, 06:12 PM
haha someone was playing a trick, its a 50D pic resized actually, pretty impressive though

How do you know and why am I not surprised? :)

Jamie Strickland
08-29-2009, 06:13 PM
he posted back in that thread I linked ;) http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=8546061&postcount=163

Axel Hildebrandt
08-29-2009, 06:19 PM
he posted back in that thread I linked ;) http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showpost.php?p=8546061&postcount=163

Interesting, it seems many people really wait for a new camera body. :)

Ed Cordes
08-29-2009, 09:58 PM
I was pretty excited about the rumors until I read that 18MP and 1.6 crop!! I am concerned as well about the noise issue. If it were a 1.3 crop 18 MP might be OK. Perhaps the new processor can handle it? Or perhaps the NR will smear the detail?

arash_hazeghi
08-29-2009, 10:17 PM
I was pretty excited about the rumors until I read that 18MP and 1.6 crop!! I am concerned as well about the noise issue. If it were a 1.3 crop 18 MP might be OK. Perhaps the new processor can handle it? Or perhaps the NR will smear the detail?

It will sure have lots lots NR, dual DIGIC 4 for a reason ;) but that is irrelevant to us RAW shooters.

Pao Dolina
08-30-2009, 02:40 AM
I for one hope the 7d rumors aren't true simply because we do not need another (possibly more expensive) 1.6x crop body. Why can't the purported 7d specs be integrated into a 60d?

What I would love to see is a 1D Mk III replacement being bumped up earlier from a 36 month product cycle to one that allows for a September 1 announcement. Though this makes more sense in light of the bad press (not everyone experienced the AF issues or the oil splashes) but bad press is bad press and it is best that Canon does something for us to forget about it like a Mk IV. ;)

I'm sure some will be ecstatic with this but I'm betting the ISO noise will be no better than a 5D2 and will require a lot of post processing time which I expect a lot of us would most likely want to avoid.

Jamie Strickland
08-30-2009, 08:03 AM
my guess is the 60D will not have dual DIGIC, 100% viewfinder, the higher end AF system, and it will not be 19AF points, I will gladly spend the extra few bucks to have that because if the AF is as fast as the 1D MKII or better I will be ditching the 1D MKII

I wonder if the 19 points will have spot metering on the AF point like the 1D, I hope so or that will be hard to lose

personally this to me sounds like a perfect replacement for the 1D MKII, I love the camera if I could make it shoot higher ISO and lower noise I would be in heaven :D that sounds like the 7D to me :)

Alfred Forns
08-30-2009, 09:15 AM
Jamie you are forgetting a lot of factors regarding the MK3 and don't think any of the 50D, 60D etc would ever replace in performance. They will be very fine cameras but not in the same league.

Regarding the 50D I do have one and use some, no problem regarding noise. You do have to expose perfectly (right one) and has to be taken care with software afterwards. For bugs I need a high shutter speed and the camera is usually set a 800 or higher, the MK3 at 1600.

I think at this point and time we are in good shape and current equipment is good .. not like a few years ago that new cameras were leaps in performance .... like in the prosumer market the D60 to 10D :) Same on the pro body !!!

Axel ... pleas don't say you are not concerned about the AF performance :D :eek::) ... btw I'm confident the Mk3 replacement will work just fine !!!

Axel Hildebrandt
08-30-2009, 09:24 AM
Axel ... pleas don't say you are not concerned about the AF performance :D :eek::) ... btw I'm confident the Mk3 replacement will work just fine !!!

Hehe, I said I'm less concerned. :)

Jamie Strickland
08-30-2009, 11:19 AM
Jamie you are forgetting a lot of factors regarding the MK3 and don't think any of the 50D, 60D etc would ever replace in performance. They will be very fine cameras but not in the same league.

Regarding the 50D I do have one and use some, no problem regarding noise. You do have to expose perfectly (right one) and has to be taken care with software afterwards. For bugs I need a high shutter speed and the camera is usually set a 800 or higher, the MK3 at 1600.

I think at this point and time we are in good shape and current equipment is good .. not like a few years ago that new cameras were leaps in performance .... like in the prosumer market the D60 to 10D :) Same on the pro body !!!

Axel ... pleas don't say you are not concerned about the AF performance ... btw I'm confident the Mk3 replacement will work just fine !!!

Yeah I dont suspect its going to be in the same league obviously the 1D series will have many other advantages, but for me if the 7D has the same AF performance of even the 1D MKII and 19AF points thats really the only reason I "need" a 1D ;) I don't need the weather sealing and all the other great features that it has that I don't (or rarely) use :)

if the 40D had the AF speed of the 1D MKII now I would not have the 1D ;)

but if the 7D does not have the af speed I will end up buying a used 1D MKIII most likely once the 4 comes out.... even if the 7D does have the AF speed that may end up happening regardless of needing it or not haha

if the 7D specs are correct I cant wait to see what the 1D MK4 is going to be