PDA

View Full Version : Rock

peter delaney
08-29-2009, 04:25 PM
Nikon D3 600mm lens . gitzo tripod. Wimberely head. 1/1000 @ f8 iso 1000

Rene Quenneville
08-29-2009, 06:11 PM
This is a very unusual and pleasing subject. The idea to go B&W is very good. I tried this new crop in order to remove some of the white sky to the right. I also raised contrast with a curve adj. and did some burning on the rocks around the left edge. I Hope this helps in assessing this beautiful image.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-29-2009, 08:00 PM
This is a really interesting picture, IMO the b&W is not working for me. Like the repost Rene did, now the focus is more on the small rock and tree. Great job:)

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
08-29-2009, 08:11 PM
A great image peter very strong but needs more contrast. I put it in silver effects pro and used a really contrasty preset. It has to much contrast but will learn from the experts were the fine line is. Thanks for posting this cool image

Ramesh Adkoli
08-29-2009, 10:11 PM
Very interesting subject, Peter. I feel a vertical composition would work better for this with the tilting rock on a ROT position. The sky devoid of any detail is robbing some impact of the image and hence keeping it to a minimum would be better. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

peter delaney
08-30-2009, 01:16 AM
Thanks Rene,and Denis for the reposts...and Kyle and Ramesh...

when I first came across this scene a couple of weeks ago... I knew I wanted to capture it so I photographed with every focal lens I had from 14 to 600mm ... in different kinds of light and angles .. some including the whole koppie [hill] and others just isolating the rock with no fig tree...still unsure what is strongest composition ... i also have silver efex pro .. so will play around with the vertcal contrast sugesstions...

will post the other compositions soon
really appreciate the input it is exactly what i need

thanks peter

Roman Kurywczak
08-30-2009, 10:04 PM
Hey Peter,
I cropped first.....which was probably a mistake.....as after i started the 20 or so levels/contrast/ and selective color blacks and neutral layers.....I went for the doge and burn tool to fine tune the rest in many, many places.....it would be interesting to see those applied to the whole thing......but decided that you would get the idea!!! I wish for a bit more of the trunk of the tree on the right......but still a pretty effective B&W conversion and looking forward to the other lens perspectives!