PDA

View Full Version : Goat's Beard

Roger Williams
08-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Another image from the morning walk.

40D, 300 f/4L IS + 1.4x, 1SO 400, 1/1000 @ f/11, HH

Dave Mills
08-29-2009, 02:47 PM
Hi Roger, Nice lighting and a good specimen on a diagonal.Backround is nicely colored and muted. IMO I would crop the stem a bit(about 1/2 way up the leaf on bottom) If the backround was far away I would have shot this at a higher F stop in order to get the whole flower sharp.

Roger Williams
08-29-2009, 03:56 PM
Thanks, Dave. I also would have preferred a shorter stem, but I've heard so many negative comments about squarish crops, I decided to leave it for comment.

Julie Kenward
08-29-2009, 08:39 PM
Oh pishaw! I love a good square crop...when it makes the image stronger! Besides, I'm not sure it would be a real square...I'd just take off about a third of the bottom and let it stand at that.

Really nice image, Roger. You really did a good job on getting good focus and a pleasing BG (and f11 at that! Wow!) Did anyone else notice the green bee? I had to look twice before I realized there was a bug on the flower!

Ed Cordes
08-29-2009, 09:37 PM
Great detail in the bloom. Looks almost hand sewn to get all those "threads" in place. I agree re the stem.

Roger Williams
08-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Wow!) Did anyone else notice the green bee? I had to look twice before I realized there was a bug on the flower![/quote]

HA! I don't think anyone else noticed the litle green guy (at least no comments). Well, we all agree about the crop. Thanks.

Mike Moats
08-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Hey Roger, I did notice the green bee, but would have been a stonger comp if you saw the front end and the head. I think the image looks goos as is, I have never cared for square comps, but that's me. This flower has a very long stem so I think it's fine with more stem showing here.

Roger Williams
08-29-2009, 09:58 PM
Too late Mike. Here's a repost based on the suggestions.

Connie Mier
08-30-2009, 06:01 PM
I noticed the bee and wished it hadn't been there. The flower does it for me, really bursts on the scence. I agree with taking out some of the stem.

Roman Kurywczak
08-31-2009, 02:25 PM
Hi Roger,
For me the re-post strengthens the image.....even though I am not a hug fan of square comps.....like Jules said.....if it works....use it! Nicely done.

Anita Bower
08-31-2009, 04:19 PM
What I noticed right off was the detail in the center of the flower--stunning! Also, lovely BG colors and blur. I like the first crop best, but, both a good--a matter of personal preference. I think I would prefer it without the bee, but, it is not a biggy.

Bob Allen
09-05-2009, 03:21 PM
I noticed the bee first then the Tragopogon :7)

Photos are always better with buggies! The head-end would have been better, but bugs rarely do what we want.

The new crop is better; the bright lower section of the stem had to go, or at least be darkened.