PDA

View Full Version : Their Off

Mark Fuge
08-28-2009, 11:23 PM
STS-128 - Discovery is off and flying.

DIdn't expect to be up for the launch, but was working at the computer and noted the time so we went outside to view it. Didn't have time to adjust much on the camera so just fired away. These are two of the images from Port Saint Lucie, about 100 miles south of the launch pad at KSCC. Thought we missed it until there was a bright orange light lighting up the sky to the north, visible to some extent in the first image which was taken shortly after I finished enjoying the sight! FAR OUT!!!!! It looked like they just turned on the lights of NYC. It was awesome, from here. We've seen it up close, but I have never seen a night launch from our front porch before! The second image is the best of the rest (about 13 image shot) handheld.

Thought you might enjoy some news upfront! Sorry for the quality, but ...

Still have to try to get to the Cape for a big one up close. Hard to get tickets, but one of these next launches I will and be ready for it.

Enjoy!

denise ippolito
08-29-2009, 07:03 AM
Mark, Thankyou for sharing. I really like the first image-has a very nice mood to it.

Gus Cobos
08-29-2009, 08:15 AM
Love it Mark...this is very nice...thanks for sharing..:cool:

Alfred Forns
08-29-2009, 09:30 AM
You got the place to shoot it from Mark ... now you only need focal length :)

Judy Lynn Malloch
08-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Many thanks for sharing this with us. What a sight and experience to see Mark.

Mark Fuge
08-29-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks for viewing and understanding. Blew it with the shutter speed, didn't set the ISO, just turned on and fired away :eek: :eek: ... but we only had about 3 minutes before launch to get out and see it and ...

But it was awesome. Didn't expect the show we saw from here. The liftoff was spectacular to view and the dropping of the tanks was clear to see. Didn't get that image as I lost sight of the rocket and ... It was slightly overcast here, which may have enhanced the liftoff. There was lightning north of us, so I wasn't sure what we would see. But it was much better than any of the night launches we've experienced from the Cape.

Yes, Al, wish I would have had one of your 800mm lenses and a good tripod for that ... Or maybe the 1,200mm that B&H has listed for sale in their used division! Surprised one of you guys hasn't grabbed that one yet!!! Take a look next time you are looking at used lenses. That one would really bring in the birds! ;) :D