PDA

View Full Version : Black turnstone portrait

wendell westfall
08-28-2009, 07:55 PM
D70s 70-200VR+2X@400 1/1250 f/5.6 ISO640 0EV handheld

This is from early yesterday morning at the beach. I think it is a black turnstone. It is only minimally cropped and tweaked -- the whites are a little hot (how can I fix that best?). Is the NR and sharpening ok. . . and everything else?

BTW, am I recently posting more frequently than I should?

Wendell

Lance Peters
08-29-2009, 05:32 AM
Hi Wendell - the forum will not let you post anymore than 1 image every 24 hours - keep em coming. Like the LOW shooting angle - good HA and pose.

IMHO -This one looks very contrsty and harsh - looks like you had some harsh light to deal with - thinking this probably should have been -0.7EV. Plenty of info in the educational resources about saving the whites....

http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?t=21309

Did you selectively sharpen the bird only or the entire image - seeing a few funky spots in the BG. Keep em coming :)

Gus Cobos
08-29-2009, 08:38 AM
Hi Wendell,
I like the raised foot and the ultra low capture...you have a good head angle and fine details...would suggest running a low level pass of noise reduction in the background...this is very nice...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Alfred Forns
08-29-2009, 09:43 AM
Hi Wendell

Exposure wise remember if you are shooting at something dark the meter will open up to make it grey and unless you close down to compensate it will be over exposed !!!! Here you got a dark bg and bird .. the combo should have indicated close to one under !!

Not sure you can do much with those whites, looks like they are cooked without detail Love the low angle, raised foot and head turn. A little more room up front would enhance the image with room for the bird to move into !!!

Gail Spitler
08-29-2009, 01:46 PM
Wendell - congrats on the low angle, it makes all the difference. You're getting some nice birds in your neighborhood these days. Even during migration, shorebirds are relatively rare here.
Cheers
gail

Bob Miller
08-29-2009, 04:55 PM
Hi Wendall...Love the low angle. The bg needs cleaning up....clone out some of the distracting splotches. You should also try running your NR again. keep them coming!