08-28-2009, 06:13 PM
Nikon D-300
18-200 mm
at 95 mm
1/640 sec at f6.3
ISO 800
spot metered off the grey rocks + 0
cropping, contrast adjustments, NR, and sharpening

While at Great Falls park outside Wash DC photographing landscapes I saw these kayakers. I was trying to compose a shot that used the framing of the rocks
How did I do with composition? Does the smaller waterfall to the right distract?

Connie Mier
08-28-2009, 06:20 PM
Great shot, sharp and detailed and well framed. The kayaker's position is classic, love that you captured the paddle in mid air and caught enough of his boat to really highlight it.

Dave Mills
08-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Hi Bob, Great action catching the kayaker at the perfect moment. I spent some time thinking about your compositional question. I think your post is an interesting comp by itself since your showing place and a fascinating one at that. In order to add to the drama of the moment I would crop out the right falls and really zero in on the action. I believe it would strengthen the image...

Gus Cobos
08-28-2009, 09:00 PM
Hi Bob,
This is well composed and executed...Dave's cropping suggestion works for a close up view of the action, but your original has a very good perspective of the area and all of the elements coming together...you can go both ways, it's your choice...well done Sir...:):cool:

Jeff Cashdollar
08-28-2009, 09:12 PM
I like the metering, exposure looks solid, well done. IMO, I would close the crop too, the subject is the kayaker.

That being said, it is a great picture either way, I am torn!

Lance Peters
08-29-2009, 03:32 AM
Hi Bob - love the action - think I prefer it as presented.
Good show :)

Bill Dix
08-29-2009, 09:13 AM
Great capture, Bob. Especially the position of boat, paddle and helmet. (I have a few of these with the boat upside down.) Another option might be a vertical crop leaving just a bit of rock on either side of the main falls; but I agree that the original composition is best.

Bill

Alfred Forns
08-29-2009, 10:03 AM
Hi Bob I'm with Bill and would go vertical doing away with the falls to the right !! Do like how you placed the boat with enough room to move into and also like the selected shutter speed. When you go much higher the water has a strange look as if it was frozen Might even try a little lower !!!

PS wise you could bring out some color/tones with some of the Nick Filters like Color Efex and Viveza !!! Ran a couple of quick filters to give you an idea Did leave the crop alone for better comparison btw if you do crop this one might have to use content aware scale to stretch the bottom a bit !!

Bob Miller
08-29-2009, 04:50 PM
Al....I like what you did with Efex...can you tell me which filters you used....I like what they did to the colors in the rocks.
Thanks to all for their comments. I think I will probably leave the composition as is.

Alfred Forns
08-30-2009, 01:19 AM
Hi Bob Just a couple Mostly Pro Contrast and Brilliant Warmth !!!