PDA

View Full Version : Goose Lake, Glacier National Park

JB Ellis
08-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Shot at ISO 100, 1/30 sec, f5.6, 25mm. Would have loved a mirror finish on the lake, but it would not happen during my visit.

Ramesh Adkoli
08-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Beautiful image, Jim. Love those blue hues in the lake. You have framed it nicely with the trees in FG. It could have take a bit of a crop at the bottom, but that is only minor. The play of light and shadow on far hills gives a nice 3-D feel. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Roman Kurywczak
08-29-2009, 09:11 AM
Hey JB,
I believe this is Goose Island on St. Mary Lake.......just an FYI on the title.
I'm not loving the tree border on the left as it seems to out of scale with the rest. It's surprisingly sharp throughout at f5.6 too I will offer that getting lower to the shoreline may have minimized the ripples a bit and allowed for a cleaner reflection. You may want to try a bit of contrast only on the mountains and sky....just to cut through some of the haze. The flow of the range is nice and I'm with Ramesh on taking some off the bottom.....just above grasses on LRC......cropping that and the entire LH tree silhouette works best for me but lets see what others chime in.

Lance Warley
08-29-2009, 10:44 AM
A beauty, JB.

Yea, the wind wouldn't stop for glassy reflections when we were there.

Looks like you had a great time.

Jackie Schuknecht
08-29-2009, 06:43 PM
I think this is very pretty. Curious as to why you picked 5.6 JB. Does look sharp. I sort of like the framing, it looks like you are being drawn in to a secret place.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
08-29-2009, 08:23 PM
JB very nice comp, the dark tree to the left is a little distracting

JB Ellis
08-29-2009, 08:26 PM
Roman, thanks for the correction. Spell check is never enough for me, I need a proof reader too. Jackie, 5.6 was actually a mistake that I corrected on subsequent attempts, but I liked this composition the best and it seemed sharp enough.

Ed Cordes
08-29-2009, 09:39 PM
I don't mind the trees on the left, but I would consider cropping the bottom to minimize the dark shadow on the lower trees. It could use more contrast in the far distant mountains.