PDA

View Full Version : Some kind of teasel...

Adrian David
08-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Camera Model : NIKON D300
Exposure Time : 1/1000 sec
F Number : 8.0
Exposure Program : Aperature Priority
ISO Speed : 500
Exposure Bias Value : 0.0
Max Aperture Value : 5.3
Metering Mode : Multi Segment
Light Source : Auto
Flash : Flash was not fired
Focal Length : 500.0 mm
ColorSpace : -1
Sensing Method : One-chip color area sensor
Lens : Sigma 150-500mm F/5-6,3 OS

Roman Kurywczak
08-27-2009, 06:41 PM
Hi Adrian,
Very nice job on the exposure and blurring the BG....for me the comp is a little too static and centered......exploring a bit of a diagonal comp.....even just by turning the camera may have helped. I do wonder if the bud inclusion was a plus in this case.....ot getting a bit closer on the top would have been preferable. Let's see what others feel.

Dave Mills
08-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Hi Adrian, Agree with Roman about placing the subject on a diagonal. By keeping in the bottom bud the image is weakened since the center of interest(flowering top) is kept relatively small in the frame due to the separation.
Both backround and lighting are well handled!

denise ippolito
08-27-2009, 08:47 PM
Adrian, Beautiful sharpness and a great BG! I like the idea of a diagonal comp.

Desmond Chan
08-28-2009, 01:21 AM
Just want to add, this may look better with a long, vertical crop. I guess I'm saying there may be too much room on the sides ? :)

Julie Kenward
08-28-2009, 02:03 AM
Roman said my comp idea - when it's long and tall I prefer them a bit on a diagonal. It can sometimes give the viewer the idea that the flower is waving or bending in the wind - gives the image more of a sense of motion.

Really nice exposure and details, Adrian! I kind of like the bud, but might have put it on the side so it flung out away from the stem a bit.

Adrian David
08-28-2009, 03:07 AM
Thank you very much for all the suggestions! I will try another comp.more diagonal...

Brandy Katzen
08-28-2009, 12:55 PM
I say leave the position and content as is and just crop in hard on both sides and make a narrow, vertical composition. It would look lovely framed an hung in a narrow space between say between 2 doors or something.

Adrian David
08-28-2009, 03:48 PM
A different angle...

Ed Vatza
08-28-2009, 03:57 PM
Hi Adrian,

First off, the flower looks more like a thistle (maybe Bull Thistle) than Teasel.

Second, I think the angle of the second is better but it could stand even more of an angle.

Honestly, I don't think that the bud adds a whole lot to the image. I would seriously consider a crop featuring just the flower. It would be more prominent in the frame which would be a good thing.

Otherwise, the image is sharp. Detail is good. Background looks fine.