PDA

View Full Version : Mother and Child

Ian Mason
08-26-2009, 06:01 PM
<TABLE class=ic_text width="100%" bgColor=#efefef><TBODY><TR><TD>1D2n, 600mm f4, 1/640s,f4, iso 200.

I managed to catch these in the part of the pond where the background was shaded from the evening sun, creating the complementary background colours. All comments are greatly valued.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

denise ippolito
08-26-2009, 06:03 PM
Ian, This is a show stopper! Beautiful light and muted out reflection. Beautiful interaction captured and your processing is great.

Axel Hildebrandt
08-26-2009, 06:07 PM
Great angle, mood, interaction and sharpness. I only wish for a better light angle. What is that string-like looking thing they chew on?

Ian Mason
08-26-2009, 06:11 PM
Great angle, mood, interaction and sharpness. I only wish for a better light angle. What is that string-like looking thing they chew on?

Thanks Axel. It's some kind of weed. They constantly dabble and come up with all sorts of unpleasant slimy stuff. Thankfully it's sometimes reasonably delicate. I know what you mean about the angle of light - one day maybe!

Daniel Cadieux
08-26-2009, 06:19 PM
I've enjoyed your super low angle series...but maybe this time it was a case of too much of a good thing? I say this because I wish the OOF FG water did not extend all the way up to and touching the birds. Maybe 1 inch higher would have better in this case? Anyhow, it's still a cool perspective, and I like the tender moment between adult and young. Keep them coming Ian!

Philip Pietri
08-26-2009, 06:21 PM
Excellent interaction in this photo. Good job with the exposure too (it's really tough with this particular species because of the dark black and the brilliant light bill). A little tight for my taste and I agree the angle of the light is not ideal. Not enough to kill the pic - it's an excellent shot and I appreciate you sharing it!

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
08-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Light may not be perfect but I still like this picture a lot. What a beautiful moment, I really like how both birds chew on the same weed. The transition in the background intersect the mother's head a bit, but no big deal.

Kiran Poonacha
08-27-2009, 01:39 AM
Lovely moment captured, loved the angle, just would suggest some selective sharpness on the mothers head.. loved it.. congrats..

Harshad Barve
08-27-2009, 01:45 AM
what a gorgeous picture this is , loved everything
TFS

Juan Aragonés
08-27-2009, 04:03 AM
Very well exposed, terrific low shooting angle, great timing and composition. I think that I would lbe great to see an image of you shooting this image. It seems that you used a periscope instead of a telephoto lens :-D

Jeni Williams
08-27-2009, 05:20 AM
Lovely interaction. Pity about the light angle and have to agree re the OOF water.

Arthur Morris
08-27-2009, 08:42 AM
From the second that I opened this image it looked as if need a bit of CW rotation but I could not believe that our Axel-eyed Super Mod did not catch it. I brought it into PS, used the ruler tool and did a .38% CW rotation as indicated.

You did a great job of getting a good exposure with the strong sidelight and the starkly black and white adult.

The sharpest focus is on the young one so I ran a 15/65/0 contrast mask on a QM of the face and then lightened the masked layer a bit. The I erased the spillover to the BKGR. I hope that I did not overcook the bill.

IAC< I think that it looks a lot better. What say ye all?

Bryan Hix
08-27-2009, 09:22 AM
I like Arthur's work, especially the body of the adult and what was done on the chick. The only thing that looks odd to my eye is the adult's bill looks too bright and the details were lost a little.

Ian Mason
08-27-2009, 04:17 PM
From the second that I opened this image it looked as if need a bit of CW rotation but I could not believe that our Axel-eyed Super Mod did not catch it. I brought it into PS, used the ruler tool and did a .38% CW rotation as indicated.

You did a great job of getting a good exposure with the strong sidelight and the starkly black and white adult.

The sharpest focus is on the young one so I ran a 15/65/0 contrast mask on a QM of the face and then lightened the masked layer a bit. The I erased the spillover to the BKGR. I hope that I did not overcook the bill.

IAC< I think that it looks a lot better. What say ye all?

Artie

I am deeply grateful! The reason I post is to learn and this is fascinating. I have put both images alongside each other and studied them. I can certainly see a big difference in the chick's face - your work has made it pop more. The whole image certainly has more punch. But, I'm new to the forum and I have to say I don't understand what you did. What's a contrast mask on a QM? I also see a difference in the colour of the adult's body. Your repost looks a bit red to my eye. I only mention it because I have previously posted similar images elsewhere and others have noticed a red cast on the black feathers, suggesting I decrease the saturation on the red channel. Do you think the red looks natural? I think I need to go on a photoshop course!

Many thanks!

Arthur Morris
08-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Hi Ian,

re:

I am deeply grateful!

My pleasure. I liked the image and I like helping folks. Go figure!

The reason I post is to learn

Me too!

and this is fascinating. I have put both images alongside each other and studied them. I can certainly see a big difference in the chick's face - your work has made it pop more.

OK. You are the second person to comment on the differences in the chick's face but the ugly truth is that I did nothing to the chicks face at all!!!! (Other than re-save as a JPEG--more on that later.)

The whole image certainly has more punch. But, I'm new to the forum and I have to say I don't understand what you did. What's a contrast mask on a QM?

A Quick Mask is a way to paint a selection that is then placed on its own layer. You can then make changes only to the layer. It is called making targeted adjustments. A contrast mask is simply FIlter/Sharpen/Unsharp Mask at 15/65/0 or thereabouts. You can learn all of that and tons tons more in our Digital Basics File. It was made just for you!

I also see a difference in the colour of the adult's body. Your repost looks a bit red to my eye. I only mention it because I have previously posted similar images elsewhere and others have noticed a red cast on the black feathers, suggesting I decrease the saturation on the red channel.

Again, I made no changes to the whole image, just to the adult's head. However, whenever you re-save a JPEG the file is compressed and degraded a bit. This may or may nor result in increased contrast and minor color shifts....

Do you think the red looks natural?

The blacks in both posts look pretty fine to me; you were working in some nice light.

I think I need to go on a photoshop course!

Not; get yourself a copy of Digital Basics. There is a link on the home page. It will be the best $20 you have ever spent.

Many thanks![/quote]

Ian Mason
08-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Ah! That is most helpful Artie. Thanks again.