PDA

View Full Version : Gray tree frog

Bryan Hix
08-26-2009, 10:29 AM
I have been trying to explore macro photography when the conditions aren't great for avian. I love amphibians and found this tree frog to be a willing subject. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to show on these post the same WB I see on my monitor. When it converts, it always look more reddish. Any pointers on that are much appreciated. This was the first week I had with my new macro lens.

Canon 50D
Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro
ISO 800, manual exp, eval meter, f/8, 1/125th
in-camera flash, comp -1 1/3 WB auto
PSE7, sharpening, NR, level adj, WB adj for post.

Julie Kenward
08-26-2009, 05:43 PM
Okay, Bryan let's start with the WB issue...first, are you using a calibration device of any kind? If not, that's where I'd start - that really should help you see on your monitor what we'll see online. Also, are you changing your color space to SRGB before you upload the image? That might also correct the issue.

I see you're using Photoshop Elements which I believe means you aren't shooting in RAW format, right? That also is a good way to check color balance in pp. Those are my starting suggestions.

As for the image - I like your choice of DOF and I really like how closely the frog mimics his BG - nicely blended and yet he's still very visible. My only thought on composition would be to have gotten even lower so that smile on his lips was more visible. I think for only having a macro lens for one week you're doing a bang up job. I think it took me two months before I got a really good feel for the same lens you're using. It can be quite challenging at first! Once this gets easy, try a stack of extension tubes and see what DOF really means!

Overall, I really like the image - could use a bit better angle but it's really nice as is.

Ed Vatza
08-27-2009, 05:06 AM
Lots of good advice from Julie. I ill just focus in on two things. I will disagree slightly with Jules and say that I think this image could use some more DOF. As is, the frog seems to go out of focus too quickly. The second point, the Jules also mentioned, is that I think this image could benefit from a lower perspective.

Finally, a bit of friendly advice. Macro is not as easy as it might at first appear. You've only had a week with the new lens. Keep plugging!

Bryan Hix
08-27-2009, 12:48 PM
Okay, Bryan let's start with the WB issue...first, are you using a calibration device of any kind? If not, that's where I'd start - that really should help you see on your monitor what we'll see online.
Yes I am using X-rite. Just calibrated last week.
Also, are you changing your color space to SRGB before you upload the image? That might also correct the issue.
This could be the issue. I shoot in Adobe RGB, I should probably check if I converted it for the web.

I see you're using Photoshop Elements which I believe means you aren't shooting in RAW format, right?
Nope, I only shoot in RAW. Elements uses Camera RAW to edit initially and then I open it in the editor and save as a JPEG and PNG or TIFF depending on how much I really like the image.

That also is a good way to check color balance in pp. Those are my starting suggestions.

As for the image - I like your choice of DOF and I really like how closely the frog mimics his BG - nicely blended and yet he's still very visible. My only thought on composition would be to have gotten even lower so that smile on his lips was more visible. I think for only having a macro lens for one week you're doing a bang up job. I think it took me two months before I got a really good feel for the same lens you're using. It can be quite challenging at first! Once this gets easy, try a stack of extension tubes and see what DOF really means!

Overall, I really like the image - could use a bit better angle but it's really nice as is.

Thanks for the kind words and advice. It is a tricky lens and the difficult part was he kept moving as a moved around. He probably was wondering if I was going to eat him. :)

Roman Kurywczak
08-27-2009, 06:22 PM
Hi Bryan,
Congrats on the new lens.....it's loads of fun and as Ed mentioned.....just keep plugging away! Much easier when things aren't moving as much! I normally opt for huge DOF for macros.....I consider f16 almost wide open!!!.....if possible try both when composing......decide which you prefer later!

Steve Maxson
08-27-2009, 08:22 PM
An interesting pose, good exposure, and excellent sharpness within the limited DOF, Bryan. I'm OK with the shooting angle as presented though going lower might also work well. I tend to prefer macros with more DOF - for my taste, f/16 would have produced a nicer image - but that's a matter of personal taste. :) Keep them coming.

Brandy Katzen
08-30-2009, 07:32 AM
Love the super shallow depth of field....you have the plane of focus perfectly positioned.