PDA

View Full Version : Caspian Tern

edward saltau
02-09-2008, 03:09 AM
I'm reasonably sure this is a caspian tern.... could someone confirm for me? My tern knowledge is poor to quite poor.
I photographed this guy at the Werribee Wetlands in Victoria, Australia.
canon 40D, 90-300mm 4.5-5.6 USM @300mm
1/1250th at f6.3 @+2/3 exp. comp
ISO 320
A slight Gaussian blur added to the background.

Tony Whitehead
02-09-2008, 04:22 AM
Hi Edward, I suspect that this is a Whiskered Tern. It is difficult to assess size on this (Caspian is almost gull size) but the belly looks dark (Caspian is white) black cap extends a fair way down the nape and primaries only have dark tips (Caspian all black primaries underneath). Nice flight shot, good to have a catchlight in the eye. I would be tempted to patch out the clump of trees in the BG

Philip Lombard
02-09-2008, 07:12 AM
NIce flight shot, mu book does not have a wiskered tern in it so, I am not sure but based on my book I would pick Caspian but I am not an experience source.

Axel Hildebrandt
02-09-2008, 07:32 AM
I'm not familiar with Australian shorebirds but this one seems too small to be a caspian. I would go for a tighter crop and straighten the horizon.

IvoZafirov
02-09-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi Edward, you have captured a whiskered tern for sure. The caspian is the biggest european tern species and it is realy beg one almost gull like.

IvoZafirov
02-09-2008, 09:14 AM
sorry I did not read that you took the picture in Australia. Nevertheless this is whiskered tern.

edward saltau
02-09-2008, 03:47 PM
thanks guys! it seems so obvious that its a wiskered tern now! Great description Tony. I shall never mistake the two birds species now.
Oh, and tony, thanks but i think i like it with the trees in the background, could use a straighten though. And Alex, I'm not game to crop any tighter but would like too. thanks