PDA

View Full Version : Rudbeckia on Yellow

Anita Bower
08-26-2009, 05:16 AM
I'm so glad to be back on the forum. Have been busy with other projects and have missed participating and learning here.

This is one of my favorite Rudbeckias--large and hairy. Photo taken indoors, natural light, tripod, scrapbooking paper for BG. Nikon D300 using Live View, Sigma 105mm macro, 1/2 sec., f 16, ISO 125, pattern metering, auto wb, manual exposure, manual focus. RAW conversion in Elements 7, PP in PS7 and Topaz Detail.

Ed Vatza
08-26-2009, 06:15 AM
Good morning Anita,

As you know, I've been following your work on your blog and have really been impressed with your color on color images. This is no exception. The flower looks just about perfect to me. DOF is right on and the detail looks great right down to the little hairs. And again I really like yellow on yellow. I will say this though. I do prefer the textured backgrounds that you have been using over the smooth solid ones like this.

Working indoors where you can control more variables makes for its own set of challenges, doesn't it?

Nicely done.

Julie Kenward
08-26-2009, 05:34 PM
Gorgeous, Anita! How did you do the BG? Isn't it amazing how much alike the Rudbeckias and the Gerberas are? Love those hairy daisies!

I think this is pretty perfect as is but if you wanted to try another crop, I'd lean the farthest left petal into the LLC and the farthest right petal into the URC and let the stem fall where it may and see what you think about that. This crop is lovely, though!

Anita Bower
08-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Gorgeous, Anita! How did you do the BG? Isn't it amazing how much alike the Rudbeckias and the Gerberas are? Love those hairy daisies!

I think this is pretty perfect as is but if you wanted to try another crop, I'd lean the farthest left petal into the LLC and the farthest right petal into the URC and let the stem fall where it may and see what you think about that. This crop is lovely, though!

Many thanks!

I used a piece of scrapbooking paper as the BG. Go to my flickr site to see my little indoor set-up http://www.flickr.com/photos/34370937@N07/3378921738/ I use a piece of scotch tape to attach the colored paper to the foam board, and move it as needed. I took the flower to the store to match the colors.

Tomorrow when I have time, I will try your suggested crop. I did try a square crop, but didn't think of rotating the flower as you suggest. I'll see what I think. I appreciate the suggestion.

Anita :-)

Dave Mills
08-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Hi Anita, I also think the image is excellent. The color and detail are great along with the diagonal positioning.
A warm presentation that demands attention...Very nicely handled!

denise ippolito
08-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Anita, Beautiful details and your colors are great. I like your composition and think the BG is nice also.

Anita Bower
08-27-2009, 05:45 AM

Thanks so much!

For the BG I used a piece of scrapbooking paper taped on to foam board. See my little studio here http://www.flickr.com/photos/34370937@N07/3378921738/ I took the flower to the store to match the colors.

I tried a square crop, but didn't think of turning the flower. Good idea. Will give it a try.

Anita http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/images/icons/icon10.gif

Roman Kurywczak
08-27-2009, 06:17 PM
Hi Anita,
Very interesting withthe Yellow on Yellow......works well here! The litle curved petal at the base adds nicely and I like the idea of the flower turn.....but still well thought out and handled!

kevinmat
08-28-2009, 03:21 PM
Nice composition and love the contrasting yellows. Congrats on a very nice image.