Bob Miller
08-25-2009, 11:22 PM
Nikon D-300
600mm f/4 Manual focus lense
ISO 640
1/160 sec at f5.6
adjusted brightness and contrast
Manual shooting mode/ spot meter

While trying to learn to work with a old manual 600 mm lense at Bombay Hook Refuge I came across this egret. is the background too busy? Looking at the post now i can see a color cast problem. All commments welcome!

Lance Peters
08-26-2009, 12:25 AM
Hi Bob - Yes you do indeed have a large blue colour cast - I have made some changes perphaps this looks more like it.

I dont mind the BG as it shows the Habitat - however a little more space at the bottom - think yo might have cut his toes just a little.
Not sure why you would be using Spot Metering???

Gus Cobos
08-26-2009, 05:19 AM
Hi Bob,
I like the composition and capture, you have a good head angle and sharp eye contact...agree with Mr. Peters on the color cast; the repost is dead on. Would like to see more room at the bottom...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Gail Spitler
08-26-2009, 01:37 PM
Hi Bob - I agree about the bottom being a bit too tight. I wonder if it might be possible to change the color cast and lighten just the bird and leave the bg as is? Might be less distracting that way.
Lovely capture
Cheers
Gail

Bob Miller
08-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Hi Lance...Like the repost. Can you tell me what you did exactly

Lance Peters
08-26-2009, 07:41 PM
Hi Bob - One click colour correction - ICorrectEditlab Pro - P.S. Plugin.
Use this at my work - has lots of flexabilty to use it manually as well. :)

Arthur Morris
08-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Lance, I appreciate your reposting efforts but I have seen two today where your color corrected reposts were much too red (including this one). Actually, though the whites in Bob's original post had too much CYAN in them his image was much much closer to neutral than your repost.

In this pane I am reposting a color corrected version of the original post.

Arthur Morris
08-27-2009, 06:38 PM
In this pane I color corrected Lance's repost and the result was pretty darned good.

Lance, I am not sure if the problem is with your monitor, your perception, or the method you are using to color correct but there is a problem.

Respectfully.

Lance Peters
08-27-2009, 07:34 PM
Hi Artie - your input is greatly appreciated - must be my monitor - because the reposts still look blue on my screen - looking at the whites on the bird - the blue tinge is still very evident across the entire white plumage.

Will have to get the colour correction device out and recalibrate and see what difference it makes.

Arthur Morris
08-27-2009, 07:40 PM
Good plan Lance. The same thing happened to me last week when I forgot that my back-up laptop had not been calibrated for more than a year. (It is now <smile>)

Thanks for all of your expert help.

Lance Peters
08-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Pleasure is all mine Artie!

Bill Dix
08-28-2009, 12:59 PM
Interesting thread. Could someone advise where I might look for the best procedure on color-correcting a monitor (without spending an arm and a leg)? Perhaps it is covered in the Educational Resources forum?

Bill

Arthur Morris
08-28-2009, 01:49 PM
Many folks are using the old Greg-tag Macbeth Eye-One Match Two. It is now available from a company with a new name not from Geg-tag Macbeth. Someone here should be able to help.

Not sure of the cost but it ain't free.