PDA

View Full Version : The Pinnacles

John Cooper
02-09-2008, 02:26 AM
The Pinnacles on the Western Australian coast have been much photographed. I have visited the area twice and each time find composition a problem - trying to avoid an overlap of the pinnacles - moving slightly one way or the other will isolate one but overlap another :(

Canon EOS 10D, Canon 17-40mm at approx 24mm, taken at sunset, F22, Tripod

David Steele
02-09-2008, 02:58 AM
Yes John the Pinnacles are difficult to photograph and shadows create another problem, but you have done very well here. Congratulations on an excellent image - as good, if not better, than any I've seen. A nice sky and clouds too. Two small nits: possibly oversharpened (see halos at the top of the pinnacles) and possibly slightly oversaturated. . . .

Do you have a photo of Wave Rock, also in WA?

John Cooper
02-09-2008, 03:10 AM
Yes John the Pinnacles are difficult to photograph and shadows create another problem, but you have done very well here. Congratulations on an excellent image - as good, if not better, than any I've seen. A nice sky and clouds too. Two small nits: possibly oversharpened (see halos at the top of the pinnacles) and possibly slightly oversaturated. . . .

Do you have a photo of Wave Rock, also in WA?

Thanks for the comments David - The colours seem to get that over saturated look when I convert from Adobe RGB to sRGB. maybe I should leave the colour space as Adobe RGB.
No images of Wave Rock at this stage but intend on visiting the area next trip to WA.

This repost is Adobe RGB 1998 colour space.

David Steele
02-09-2008, 05:20 AM
I prefer your second posting John but would add a tad more contrast to it.

Robert Amoruso
02-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Second post looks best. I like the sidelighting and think that was definitely the way to go here. Nice work.

Harold Davis
02-09-2008, 05:09 PM
beautiful job on the composition. like robert, i also like the side light.

Bret Edge
02-11-2008, 01:48 AM
I've got to visit these pinnacles one day! I like the sidelighting and the interesting composition. Great texture in the sand, too.