PDA

View Full Version : Assignment: zebra butterfly

Connie Mier
08-25-2009, 05:56 PM
I'm curious about the content of the photo, it seems the butterfly is feeding on this carcass. Other zebras came along on occasion seemingly vying for the same food item. Am I on the right track? What is that carcass hanging there?
Shot at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Gardens
Sony a700, Sigma 180mm macro lens, handheld. I didn't plan to use flash that day, but because this scene was shaded, I used the built-in flash unit, fill flash setting.
f5, 1/200, ISO800
Connie

Gus Cobos
08-25-2009, 06:51 PM
Hi Connie,
I like the composition and capture...you did well in exposing the fine details in the wings, if you are not careful, the flash tends to eat up the color by washing it out...in this case, would have gone with a -0.3EV...as is, you can boost up the saturation and contrast just a tad to enhance the beautiful rich tones and hues of your butterfly...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Oscar Zangroniz
08-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Connie:
Great techs by Gus, and nice capture. Excellent web page, enjoyed it very much. Loved reading about the bird rookery on Biscayne Bay, will have to try it one day.
Congrats

Ron Boisvert
08-25-2009, 09:35 PM
Hi Connie,
The butterfly is hanging on to a zebra butterfly chrysalis; probably it's own. That's why the butterfly looks so perfect. More than likely it emerged shortly before you took the photo. Check the attached link for more information.

http://butterflies.heuristron.net/butterflies/zebraLongwing.html

Regards,

Jeff Cashdollar
08-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Connie,

Nice shot, sometimes flash can make things seem somewhat flat. I like Gus's suggestions, maybe use curves or alternatives to pop it a bit and add depth/texture to the wings. I enjoy the unique composition, well done.

Lance Peters
08-25-2009, 11:05 PM
Hi Connie - Well done - Like Gus's suggestions to give it that tad more POP. Lots of different ways to achieve - check out the educational resources forum for info.
Right place atthe right time :)

Connie Mier
08-26-2009, 03:33 PM
Thank you everyone for the feedback. I can't remember exactly, but I do believe I had the fill flash set at -.3 or -.7. Nevertheless, your suggestions are the best.

Oscar, let me know if you want to get to the rookery, will be happy to show you where it is. I enjoyed your website as well!

Ron, the information on the butterfly is priceless, thank you!