PDA

View Full Version : Orchids

Mirenchu Fernandez
08-25-2009, 05:52 PM
Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.
Nikon D90; f/9; 1/15 sec; ISO 200; Exposure bias -2.7 step; 60 mm; LCD flashlight.

Gus Cobos
08-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Hi Lady Mirenchu,
I like the concept of the composition...but a few points to think about...:) The angle of capture is a tad too steep, you needed to get lower in frame, the Orchids are looking down from you, and are not showing their true beauty, also the image is a little under exposed, if that was the intended purpose, then it would be ok...I would open up the mid-tones and give them a slight boost in contrast and a slight adjustment in saturation to make them glow...in addition, I recommend on cloning out the green leaf to the right of the frame...it takes the attention away from your main subject...keep them coming...I am truly enjoying your series...:cool:

Mirenchu Fernandez
08-25-2009, 06:48 PM
Thank you Gus for your comments, could you please advice me if this version is better?

Gus Cobos
08-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Much better as far as the saturation boost and the adjustment of the mid-tones to lighten them up yes...a 100% improvement...and the eviction of the Green OOF leaf...:D I still would have liked to have seen a lower capture angle...but thats going to be your assignment for your next one in your series...:):cool:

Richard Waas
08-25-2009, 07:23 PM
Repost is much better Mirenchu. You certainly have an eye for the flowers. I look forward to the next one....

Bob Miller
08-25-2009, 07:49 PM
Hi Mirenchu....Repost is much better! I think you have found a good composition here. I have found orchids a hard flower to photograph and make good compositions...Congrats on another great image in a great series.

Oscar Zangroniz
08-25-2009, 08:22 PM
Great colors and composition Mirenchu, you're getting pretty good at these macro's.

Jeff Cashdollar
08-25-2009, 08:37 PM
Repost is better and composition is unique, I like it.

Ron Boisvert
08-25-2009, 09:26 PM
Hi Mirenchu, I'm imagining that the florist in your neighborhood is sure happy to see you coming every day or so; otherwise you must have one heck of a flower garden!! This is quite a series you are working on. It's interesting to see how you are approaching your subjects. Perhaps it's just me, but the lower left OOF flower is distracting. I would have liked to see more DOF in this one. I also think the repost is a definite improvement over the original. I'm really curious as to why you underexposed this one by 2.7 stops. Is it because of the deep black background?

Lance Peters
08-25-2009, 10:57 PM
Hi - I am going to agree 100% with Gus's fine critique - the repost certainly is a improvement - the harped upon lower angle would have put it over the top.

Doing really well - go back and have a look at your first post and the difference between then and what you are posting now :) Good show :)

Harold Davis
08-26-2009, 06:27 PM
my first thought was the same as ron's. with the black bg the flowers have center stage by themselves. stop all the way down and get as much in focus as possible. love the concept. gus had some great suggestions. keep up the great work. enjoying your work!!