PDA

View Full Version : Superfly!

Roman Kurywczak
08-25-2009, 04:34 PM
Sorry Jules......couldn't resist......with all the nice flowers......couldn't resist a bug! While in Longwood photographing the orchids.....this fly landed on one......got off 1 shot at MFD....B4 he flew off. As you know me.....I wish I was able to get a tube on...more DOF....etc......to get even closer (this is a slight crop).......but the sharpness is probably better because I was a bit further away!
Canon 1D Mark lll with the Sigma 180mm macro and the MT24 twin lights at -2/3 and 1/80 sec. at f29 and ISO 400.

Bruce Murden
08-25-2009, 05:05 PM
Nice capture. Maybe a touch of cropping off the bottom, just above the darker triangle right of center at lower frame -- or just clone it, since the three shades of purple in the LL are good.

I can see this as a greeting card... or maybe not. At least it's a pretty fly.

Just send over one of your superspiders to take care of it, and Jules should be okay!

denise ippolito
08-25-2009, 05:12 PM
Roman, I agree w/ Bruce this is a nice capture! Tack sharp. The lavender flower goes nicely w/ flies colors. Very nicely presented.

Roger Williams
08-25-2009, 09:37 PM
In addition to the soft colors and sharp detail, I like the angled pose of the fly, which adds interest to the comp IMO.

Ed Vatza
08-26-2009, 06:19 AM
Very nice... for a bug!;)

I like the sharpness of the fly and the edge of that front petal. Works together really well. I see you were back stopped down to f/29. Could stand the rarified air of f/18 for long, could you? :D

Julie Kenward
08-26-2009, 05:32 PM
Flies good...spiders eating flies bad!!!

Beautiful image, Roman. Me? I'd crop it closer (I know...closer than Roman cropped it already? Am I insane?) I agree with Bruce - I'd whack off part of the bottom. That face is too good not to get it RIGHT THERE in the viewer's face.

The purple flower really adds a beautiful touch to this and I just added the twin lights to my Amazon wish list. Geez, I'm going to have to sell my car to get everything on that wish list.

Anybody have a sugar daddy they want to loan me?