PDA

View Full Version : Vibrance!

Ramesh Adkoli
08-25-2009, 07:00 AM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2471/3836038113_2401edd515_o.jpg

The spotlight on this fresh green leaf with pale blue water in BG makes for an interesting composition. It was taken at Savandurga, a rockhill formation 65KM from Bangalore. Appreciate your views and comments.

EXIF: D700, 70-200mmL@200mm, 1/160s, f/10, ISO 200, -0.3EV, hand held, late morning, full frame
PP: Curves, Levels, selective colors

regards,
ramesh

Roman Kurywczak
08-25-2009, 09:02 AM
Hi Ramesh,
The spotlight effect can be very powerful but I did struggle with your composition. While I like the spotlit tree and leaf I wasn't too sure about all the negative space on the water....even though it did have some texture in it. I didn't want to crop it heavily....as that would change the mood and look......although getting closer and exploring the same comp but with the leaf a bit more dominant may have worked. I did a levels and contrast layer on the water and leaf only.... to bing out some more of the ripples in the water......finally a slight crop. I'm not sure the leaf/small branch is strong enough to carry all that water......but it does have a nice look and feel to it. I didn't want to do a drastic crop as that would change your original vision too much.....but let me know how you feel about the small ones.

Kyle Marie Barcelos
08-25-2009, 04:02 PM
I like the tree and the leaves but not feeling the water. Did you take any other shots from different angles, maybe the water will work from a different view:)

Ramesh Adkoli
08-26-2009, 09:18 AM
Thanks, Roman for your repost and analysis of the image. This was the closest i could get to the trunk and leaves as they were stretched into the lake and hence could not give more prominence to the leaves. i felt the large water body would keep bringing the viewer back to the leaves that are the primary focus of this image. BTW, I liked your crop.

Kyle, i did take other shots but from similar angles.

Regards,
ramesh

Robert Amoruso
08-26-2009, 07:42 PM
I like the idea here but agree with Roman. Perhaps a rule of thirds placement of the green leaf in the lower left power point would have provided the unifying theme needed here.

Morkel Erasmus
08-27-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi Ramesh

Roman made some good points. I like the idea but agree the leaf needs to come to the foreground and fill the frame a bit more. The water texture is nice.

Ramesh Adkoli
08-27-2009, 09:58 PM
Thanks, Robert and Morkel about your views.