PDA

View Full Version : Kelp

Mike Moats
08-24-2009, 08:04 PM
This colorful kelp was shot in a tidepool on the Oregon coast.

Fuji S5, Tamron 90, f/32, Natural Light, Tripod

Ed Vatza
08-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Cool abstract. Love the irridescent colors. Just wish there was more color in the LL corner, Mike. Or at least a smaller dark area. Still very cool image!

Ed Cordes
08-24-2009, 08:10 PM
Mike, this is outstanding. It kind of looks like a Photoshopped slot canyon!

denise ippolito
08-24-2009, 08:31 PM
Mike, I like the metallic colors in this one. Very cool abstract.

Roman Kurywczak
08-24-2009, 08:42 PM
Hey Mike,
Always look forward to your presentations!....I'm leaning with ED on this one.....although a tone down on the lower whiter areas may accomplish the same thing.......still a very cool aproach and as always....gives us another perspective on seeing things!

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-24-2009, 09:00 PM
This looks too OOTB to me Mike. :) Those are really neat colors. I've never seen kelp like this. :)

Julie Kenward
08-25-2009, 07:21 AM
Agree with the others on the LLC - might consider cropping up or doing a shadow/highlight adjustment to see if you can bring up a little more detail in that area. I'm curious as to why you cut the bottom of the frame off the way you did - it feels a little bit short with that bright area at the bottom being right on the frame.

I wonder, too, if this doesn't have more detail in the darker areas in the original print...I think I can almost see where the details are but they just aren't making it all the way to my work monitor.

Connie Mier
08-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Very cool image Mike, I like the contrasting tones and textures. Doesn't look like kelp to me, which makes this even more interesting. While the suggestions above are great ones, I don't think I would change this.

Anita Bower
08-27-2009, 05:36 PM
Mike: This does not look like a Mike Moats image! Unfortunately, it doesn't speak to me--I can't find something to focus on. The colors, though, are lovely.

Charles Wesley
08-31-2009, 08:41 AM
Mike,

I really like nature abstracts. Would never have guessed it was kelp. The impression material I used as a dentist to copy one's teeth is made from kelp and seaweed. It's called dental alginate and is a white gooey substance placed in a mouth tray.

Can't picture having this placed in my mouth...