denise ippolito
08-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Canon 5D
100mm Macro lens
ISO 100
1/200 sec. at f/25
flash +1/3
Tripod

I did a re-shoot today. This time indoors w/ a flash and f/25, My first attempt at a dramatic effect-(please don't laugh) any help or tips would be appreciated. I did like the way this looked.

Ed Vatza
08-24-2009, 07:07 PM
I don't know, Denise... everything looks right but for some reason the comp just isn't feeling quite right to me. I think it is the result of the juxtaposition of the QAL and the elegant setting. It is creating a creative tension that I am having difficulty reconciling. I could easily envision a red rose in the exact same position and setting and I think I would be fine with it. But the QAL doesn't seem to fit the mood. Does that make sense?

Francis Bossé
08-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Denise, the comment above mind said it all. I will suggest you to use black piece of plexiglass instead of a glass. That you will have one reflection. With glass you get two on each surface and it's do not create a pure reflection.

a+

Julie Kenward
08-24-2009, 07:22 PM
I think they're right - it just seems weird to see a wildflower in an elegant setting. I do think you could pull it off with one that had more of a sweeping angle or one that had the stem in the BG and the flower coming right at you.

It also feels a tiny bit "stark" to me and that doesn't seem to go with QAL either. I think of this as more of a "natural" flower instead of an elegant one. Still, I bet if you worked at it, you could find a better angle and a little softer lighting and pull it off.

denise ippolito
08-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback.

Francis, Thankyou for the black plexi-glass tip.

Ed Cordes
08-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Denise, it is a stunning presentation! I agree about the double reflection. One would be better. I am one who likes the white on black setting.

Mike Moats
08-24-2009, 08:08 PM
Hey Denise, go to see you're trying to be creative. I like the idea, but I think the stem looks to horizontal, would rather see it on a diaginol out near the lower corner.

Roman Kurywczak
08-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Hey Denise,
I don't mid the black against white presentation....but do agree with a curve or sweep. I wouldn't settle on black either.......a pictue of water.......or sky and no reflection perhaps.......just some more ideas and possabilities.....glad to see you pushing yourself!

Ákos Lumnitzer
08-24-2009, 09:02 PM
I'd use a black cloth for BG and shoot it at a diagonal coming from one of the bottom corners then convert to B&W. NIce attempt though. No laughing from me, as you'll give it back ten-fold in OOTB! :D

Desmond Chan
08-25-2009, 12:02 AM
I think the light is too direct and too...errr...hard (not sure if that's the right description). Perhaps too much light, too. I don't think showing that much of the stem helps here, too. Looking forward to your next one.

denise ippolito
08-25-2009, 10:50 AM
Thankyou all for the varied comments. I will work on this technique!!

Connie Mier
08-25-2009, 06:39 PM
Denise, I just looked at your B&W post of the lace and this one is strikingly different! There were several points made above that I agree on (would like to see it in a diagonal position, less stem, less harsh light). Having seen both, I do like your B&W version better, but also give you lots of credit for attempting something different here.

denise ippolito
08-26-2009, 06:51 AM
Connie, Thankyou for the feedback-I'll keep at it till I get something!!