PDA

View Full Version : Glacier National Park Advice

Ed Cordes
08-24-2009, 06:40 PM
Gail and I are seriously thinking of going to Glacier next September (2010). We would most likely leave on Labor Day Weekend and stay at least 1 1/2 weeks. we are tentatively planning on staying 1/2 of the trip on one side of the mountains and 1/2 on the other. Goals are to get great (hopefully) landscape images as well as great (again wishing) wildlife images.

Any advice from those who have made the trek would be appreciated. BTW, we are anticipating some day hikes of easy to moderate levels.

Thanks.

denise ippolito
08-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Ed, I went to Glacier last summer and also did Banff. Not sure how much you like to travel but Banff is spectacular. So is Glacier

Ed Cordes
08-24-2009, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the fast reply Denise. Gail and I were in Banff in the middle '90s and like it a lot. Perhaps we can drive across the border and get a little Canadian flavor as well. I think it will depend on the snows at the higher elevations in September.

We want to travel after Labor day to avoid the large crowds with kids. Not that we don't like kids, but we do prefer less crowded National Parks when we travel ;)

denise ippolito
08-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Ed, I hiked the Ptarmigan Tunnel Trail-it was awesome. Snow and sleet in August on the trail. I also hiked the Iceberg Lake Trail, alot of wildflowers on the trail(Aug) to a fantastic iceberg lake!! I also hiked the Grinnel Glacier Trail, Very Scenic. I saw grizzly bears on that trail. The highline trail is great! Not if you have a fear of heights. I photographed a bear on the trail w/ a guy heading towards him(approx. 25 feet)Oh ya don't forget the Hidden Lake Trail at Logan Pass. I hiked that one at least 4 times. Lots of wildlife.

Ed Cordes
08-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Sounds great Denise. I am planning the trails now and they will be on our list. I am also ordering some books from Amazon on photography in Glacier. Good news is that I think Gail and I have enough credit card points to fly on them. One advantage of a large photography equipment appetite.

Steve Zamek
08-25-2009, 10:37 AM
When there last September, I found the Logan Pass area to offer many wildlife photo opportunities: bighorn sheep, mountain goat, marmot, pika. It is also quite scenic. I can be fogged in, so best to build in some extra time for such conditions. And the area around Many Glacier was good for bear (both black & brown) and moose.

Cindy Cone
08-25-2009, 06:19 PM
I was in Glacier both in August of 07 and August and September of '08. It's a great time to be there. The crowds are thinning and the bears are in their hyperphagic state. If it's been a good berry season, you can often see both black and grizzlies close to the road leading into Many Glacier. I've always seen more wildlife on the east side than the West, but the glacial waters in the rivers on the west side are fantastic. Denise has already mentioned most of my favorite hikes. Look for pikas on the trail to the Hidden Lake overview. You should also see moutain goats, bighorn sheep, ground squirrels and possibly ptarmigan.