PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Lakefront HDR

Kent Wilson
08-24-2009, 04:46 PM
This is an HDR image based on 3 images of the lakefront with a single gull flying thru the scene. I have been reluctant to post this, but the critiques here are so useful and I thought there might be something of interest in this photo.

The Drive setting was for Continuous (low). As the gull moved during the exposures, each exposure was fast enough to reduce the blur to be tolerable (I think, but you folks can tell me whether it is). I'm not happy with the grayish cast of many of the buildings, but I think they did look that way. In post processing, I dodged the bird(s) so it would show up better(among many other things), but I realize that the light is all wrong for them to look like that. Some people have told me that they like it; however, I'm not confident the image has much merit.

Canon 50D
Canon 70-200 f/4 IS @70mm
ISO 200, f/9, 1/160, 1/640, 1/40 sec
AEB 0, -2, +2
Drive Continuous (low)
Auto WB
Tripod and cable release

Your comments, suggestions, and criticisms are always valued.
Thanks for looking.

Jay Gould
08-24-2009, 05:12 PM
I like it; it is qute dramatic. I like the touch with the birds being duplicated. Without you explanation there are three gulls in the scene and it works for me.

Harold Davis
08-24-2009, 05:35 PM
i might warm up the buildings a touch. i'd clone out the bird closest to the tower. it doesnt look complete. if you had any more water down low, i might add some. it looks great. i just wanna see more!

Lance Peters
08-24-2009, 07:21 PM
Hi Kent - very dramatic image - Agree with MR H suggestions - Looks just a tad flat to my eye's.

I like - Big congrats :)

Gus Cobos
08-24-2009, 09:15 PM
Hi Kent,
I agree with the techs. I like the base composition...would give it a little boost of saturation and contrast, not too much...:cool:

Bob Miller
08-24-2009, 11:30 PM
Kent...i think if you add some water at the bottom and boost the contrast and saturation esp in the building as suggested you will have quite a nice image

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
08-25-2009, 12:23 AM
Agree about cloning out the bird near the building, however I do like the other two birds even though the light is wrong. They gave me the flying into the sunset, going home, the end of the day feeling.

I also read somewhere to try to aviod auto white balance for HDR image, but not sure why.

Alfred Forns
08-25-2009, 10:05 AM
Hi Kent

It all depends on what you want to do but would suggest on a wider range of exposures. For an HDR you will have perfect detail on the buildings while being able to capture the sun. Your lightest exposure should have over half of your LCD blinking (totally blown out) and your darkest nothing blinking at all !!!

With the correct range of exposures you will not be having to do any dodging or burning !!! What did you use to process the image?

Looking forward to the next one !!!

Kent Wilson
08-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Hi Albert --

I used Photomatix to make the HDR file and do tone mapping, then further processing in photoshop.

My camera only does a + and - 2 stop auto bracketing. I think I need to employ a different strategy for getting the exposures. First, find the exposure where there are no blinkies. Then increase exposure as many stops as necessary to get the shadows right. Hate to have to make the adjustments manually because of moving the camera, but I'm using a tripod so movement might not matter. Does this sound right?

Kent Wilson
08-25-2009, 11:41 AM
Thanks to each of you who responded to this thread. I'm sure your suggestions will improve my image.

Alfred Forns
08-26-2009, 04:48 PM
Hi Kent

Best to go manual since at times you will be down five stops Just make sure the darkest has zero blinkies !!! On a steady tripod you will not have trouble making the changes. Changes can be made two stops apart.

Also is important keeping the aperture the same and varying the shutter speed.

On Photomatix remember to reset before starting a new image since it remembers the previous settings !!!

Kent Wilson
08-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Thanks, Alfred. That's what I thought, but wasn't sure.

As always, you are a great help to me.

kent