PDA

View Full Version : This is bud is for you:-)

Ramesh Adkoli
08-24-2009, 02:35 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3432/3851057697_a5bc482aa6_o.jpg

Captured this bud (don't know the name) at Lalbhag, Bangalore. Kept a shallow DOF to get smoother BG. Would like to know your views and comments.

EXIF: D700, 105mm Micro VR + 1.4TC (150mmFL), 1/3s, f/8, -0.3EV, ISO200, tripod mount, early morning, cloudy, full frame
PP: levels, curves, selective color.

regards,
ramesh

Ed Vatza
08-24-2009, 06:47 PM
The dof seems good and the image looks fairly sharp - detail is good.

Compositionally, the bud just doesn't work for me. It is what it is but it just seems too long and what we might call gangly in the frame. Additionally, I feel the bud need more brightening. +EV might have helped. Highlight adjustment in Photoshop or Exposure setting in Lightroom could also help. Some fill flash just could have been the answer. Given where you are with this image, I'd try the boosting highlights route.

Julie Kenward
08-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Ramesh, I think Ed might be right. I don't really have a problem with the comp that much but it does feel a little drab and lackluster in the lighting department. I feel like you could have really brought out the beauty of this bud with a better light source (whether natural or manufactured - reflectors, fill flash, etc.) I also think a little more DOF at the base of the bud would really have helped. The middle and top seems to be detailed but then you lose it as you progress down the flower.

You got a beautiful background and a good subject - if you can, I'd try again and really look for a way to bring out the texture and beauty of this bud. You're so close!

It's certainly not a bad image - there just isn't anything that puts it over the top for me.

Ed Cordes
08-24-2009, 08:03 PM
I like the concept, but find the shallow DOF is OK if the front of the bud were in focus. The bottom front of the bud seems soft. I also would consider eliminating the bright area LRC.

Roman Kurywczak
08-24-2009, 08:25 PM
Hi Ramesh,
This is exactly why I struggle with shallow DOF's......how much should be in focus......for me in this image.......I would like the top razor sharp...and for me the bud protruding out is also a bit distracting....definitely not an easy task in the field.....I do like the recommendations above on brightening....popping the bud more .....but the soft stem isn't to my tastes either.

Ramesh Adkoli
08-25-2009, 05:02 AM
Thanks a lot, Ed, Julie, Ed and Roman. Very insightful and thorough observations covering DOF, composition, coverage, lighting. I certainly did realise this image help me get such insight. I appreciate your comments.

When i checked the histogram in the field, i noticed it had a highlight blowout on the left of the bud and i promptly dialed a small -ve EV. During PP, i saw that the blue channel had blown out! i corrected that but i guess the image lost in impact. Only right thing for me is to get back to the field and put many of your observations into practice.

Any input on handling single channel blowing out would be helpful. Thanks again for your time and insight.

Regards,
ramesh

Krishnan
08-25-2009, 07:22 AM

Any input on handling single channel blowing out would be helpful. Thanks again for your time and insight.

Regards,
ramesh

White Balance tweak is what I do. (+) Degree Kelvin for Increase in Red and corresponding decrease in Blue and (-) for Increase in blue and decrease in red.

Link to what I did here http://www.krishphoto.com/equipment/the-blue-wall-white-balance-test.html

Best REgards
---Krish

Ramesh Adkoli
08-25-2009, 10:15 AM
Thanks, Krish for the tips. I went through your test article. I too rely on the Auto WB of D700. I think the trick is to check the RGB histogram in the field and adjust the Color Temp manually, if need be.

regards,
ramesh