PDA

View Full Version : Hooded Mergenser- Viera Wetlands, FL

Shawn Marques
02-08-2008, 10:11 PM
This hooded merganser image was created at the Viera Wetlands, FL, on a partly sunny, late afternoon. Let me know what you think of it! Thanks!

Canon 40D,Canon EF 600mm F4 IS USM + 1.4X TC
1/500s @ f/8, ISO 400, 840mm
Gitzo carbon fiber tripod, Wimberely head

Axel Hildebrandt
02-08-2008, 11:17 PM
Nice wing flap and details. The light angle is not ideal and it looks a bit too contrasty on my monitor.

Arthur Morris
02-09-2008, 08:53 AM
I think that it is pretty darned good. Some Sh/H would help the darks. be sure to increast the middle tone contrast whenever you lighten the darks with a SH adjustment...

later and love, artie

Shawn Marques
02-09-2008, 11:02 AM
I think that it is pretty darned good. Some Sh/H would help the darks. be sure to increast the middle tone contrast whenever you lighten the darks with a SH adjustment...

later and love, artie

Hi Artie. I have tried doing as you suggested. But how much of a mid-tone contrast should generally be made? Is the birds head better here? I do like the water more on the other version, though. I think it's too dark here.

Arthur Morris
02-09-2008, 12:14 PM
Hi Shawn, Much too much SH, and yes the water is now lousy; you lost the lovely hard blue/purple tones. Sorry for the incomplete advice. Below I used a QM to select only the neck and did something like 18/38/30 SH and then +15 mid tone contrast. Also took a bit off the bottom. No a huge difference but better, and still a lovely image.

later and love, artie

Shawn Marques
02-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Hi Shawn, Much too much SH, and yes the water is now lousy; you lost the lovely hard blue/purple tones. Sorry for the incomplete advice. Below I used a QM to select only the neck and did something like 18/38/30 SH and then +15 mid tone contrast. Also took a bit off the bottom. No a huge difference but better, and still a lovely image.

later and love, artie

Hi Artie. Okay, I can see a big improvement, though the fix was very subtle, and highly educational to me. It seems that I have a hard time with determining how much of an adjustment to make with the sh/hlght. But I'll get there.

BTH, guess I should have mentioned thes, but this is an older image, one in which I did not save the master tiff because I didn't know any better back then. I started from scratch (rather quickly) just to play around with the dark head. I should have just played around with the jpeg.

Thank you, again! Best regards to you!