PDA

View Full Version : Back Yard Monarch

Ed Cordes
08-23-2009, 05:25 PM
I have finally gotten a chance to post an image. This Tiger Swallowtail was on my Butterfly Bush a few weeks ago. I like the image, but do wish the antenna were more visible.
5DMK2 with 100-400 @ 310 and 20 mm extension tube. Evaluative metering at ISO 320 and EV at -1 1/3 with f 7.1 and 1/2500 Hand Held. This is about 75% of the original image. I was borrowing a friend's 5DMK2 to see if I liked it. The detail in the files is excellent.
Thanks for looking. C&C are most welcome.

Ed Vatza
08-23-2009, 06:19 PM
Ed,

Methinks you may have posted the wrong image as it is neither a Monarch nor a Butterfly Bush. Well maybe a Butterfly Bush (but I don't think so) but it looks to be a Swallowtail butterfly.

Ed Cordes
08-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Ed Thanks for the correct ID on the BF. I have corrected it. However, the tag on the plant says "butterfly bush" Since I am obviously not an ID expert I would appreciate any help.

Ed Vatza
08-23-2009, 06:36 PM
I double-clutched on the flower because the shape of the cluster doesn't look like the butterfly bushes we have here both in our backyard and out in the wild. May just be a different species or something.

denise ippolito
08-23-2009, 07:12 PM
Judging from the tiny flower heads ,woody stem and the leaves it looks like a Buddleia. I know that the honeycomb and sungold tend to look more clumped like this variety.

Ed Cordes
08-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Thanks Denise. I apprecaite any help I can get!

Roman Kurywczak
08-23-2009, 07:19 PM
Hey Ed,
Definitely a swallowtail.....garden centers here tend to categorize anything that attracts BF....as a butterfly bush.....right now I can't think of it....but will let you know.
Now for the image....I may go just above your signature for the comp.....just emphasizes the flowers more.......I think the light was your biggest enemy here.....as presented....I would have definitely sacrificed a bit of SS for DOF at least....say f16 and 1/800.......unless you were doing what always happens to me.....shooting BF in flight.......so the high SS....and one lands........f#@!%&*&^*. Not bad all things considered.
BTW...as usual in the wild.....he's missing his tail....just an FYI.

Julie Kenward
08-23-2009, 07:27 PM
Even though he's fairly centered in the image, I really like your comp. I think the lighting in the lower part warrants keeping it in. I do think you have a bit of darkness to the floral area that might be better if brought up a tad but overall - I really like it.

And Roman's right...the little tail ends are both missing. That's too bad - it would have added a nice touch to the lower half of the image.

Charles Wesley
08-24-2009, 08:48 AM
Ed,

Like the composition on this one and the colors. I agree with Denise that it's IMO a Buddleia davidii plant.
The BB is an older eastern Tiger Swallowtail ( Papillio glaucus ). Both of his tails are missing as pointed out by Roman most likely due to his age. As Jules says the centering of the BB works well.

Thanks for sharing...