PDA

View Full Version : A question of lights

Hazel Grant
08-23-2009, 04:56 PM
Hi, took this at a game this week (Miners in Marion, Il). The only way to get a head on from the pitcher was through the mesh behind home plate, but I kind of like that effect. What I'm wondering about are those huge lights in the back. I'm going to repost where I've taken them out. I like that look artistically except that in order to keep the field in sight, I have to allow for a huge black upper section in the photo. If I keep the lights in, there is more reality of the actual game, but are they too distracting? I had the camera on auto that night and so the numbers are f2.8, 1/60, iso 100. I had the exposure down a couple notches because the glare of the lights made results too washed out. (oh, yes, and I plan to remove those people in the lower left as soon as I decide which version to finalize.) thanks for input.

Alfred Forns
08-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Lights are fine Hazel They are part of the scene and I think our eyes are just used to them Might want to tone them down a bit but looks sort of funny !!!

btw don't mind the net either but getting on the front row :D would give you a much better view :)

Hazel Grant
08-23-2009, 05:05 PM
this is the one with the lights removed.

Gus Cobos
08-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Hi Hazel,
I like the natural capture...the lights don't bother me at all, just like Mr. Forns suggested a little toning down is the order of the day...:D:cool:

Jackie Schuknecht
08-23-2009, 07:13 PM
Like it with the lights Hazel. Seem to add to the night-time atmosphere. You could burn them a little maybe.

David Thomasson
08-23-2009, 08:17 PM
I agree with others that the lights are fine. You could paint around them little with black -- soft brush, 10% opacity, to tone down the flare. As for the rest of the field, you can get a good deal more pop out of that by working selectively with shadows/highlights filter and curves.

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/8984/miners.jpg

Jeff Cashdollar
08-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Nice shot, David is right, if you follow a basic work flow you can strengthen the image (e.g., WB, NR, Levels, Curves, Clone/QM, Saturation/Hue, Sharpen). Walk thru the steps and see what works and what does not - great image Hazel. I love the feel and nice timing just as pitcher releases the ball.

Hazel Grant
08-23-2009, 09:29 PM
Thanks. Will do. I didn't have access to the first row, but then I think the net would be so close it would be distracting. If I get to another game, I'll see if I can try it.

Bob Miller
08-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Hazel.....I like the lights in the scene much better...as you say it is more real! I also like the pop that dave gave to the image but possibly somewhere in between the original and dave's repost