08-23-2009, 02:32 PM
Canon 5D
24-105mm
ISO 200
1/160 sec. at f5.6
HH
Natural light-overcast

I converted this in Color -Efex using the duplex filter
I always see Queen Anne'a Lace growing wild but never noticed it in this state.

Bruce Murden
08-23-2009, 08:32 PM
Glad you found these lace balls at this stage -- I think here and when they are skeletons in the fall are the most interesting times for Queen Anne's Lace. For this image, and for my tastes, I'd like some more contrast in the subject flower on the left (especially with the even lighting you had on an overcast day), and a touch more DOF to get the top of the flower in focus. I'm fine with the "collar" at the bottom being OOF, but want some more detail at the top of the bloom.

denise ippolito
08-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Bruce, Thanks for the info on these balls. It's actually the first time I ever noticed them. I found them very interesting and will go back to re-shoot them probably tomorrow-but will bring my tripod, flash and macro lens-to see if I can improve on my images. I'll try some more contrast as you suggested.Thankyou for your help.

Desmond Chan
08-24-2009, 12:43 AM
Another dose of contrast would be what I'd prescribe, too. I think it'd improve the image.

denise ippolito
08-24-2009, 06:43 AM
Here is the same image w/o the duplex filter which creates a soft glow and is really meant for a softer look. I tried to up the contrast but it took away from the BG bud.. So I re cropped it and started over and did a regular conversion. I prefer the orig. (I guess I like the softer less contrasty look) But understand your thoughts.

Julie Kenward
08-24-2009, 07:25 PM
I like the original, too, Denise. I do think a bit more DOF at the top would help but I love the soft flowing image of this. It looks much more "at home" than the one in the macro forum - this one really has that wildflower feel to it.

Connie Mier
08-25-2009, 06:28 PM
Denise, I really like the repost and wanted to see it that way when I saw the original. I thought the oof ball took away from the drama of the in focus subject. Good eye to capture this contrasty and interesting subject. I also think the dof is right on.

denise ippolito
08-26-2009, 06:50 AM
Hi Connie, Thanks for looking in. I think it's been an interesting 3 day shoot for me. All the different possibilities for shooting a flower and processing it are so varied. The Queen Anne's Lace Ball I have never seen in this form-maybe I never looked closely before. But it is amazingly interesting to me and I have a few more of them to post. I have posted a high-key version in OOTB also.