PDA

View Full Version : Yosemite Landscape

Jackie Schuknecht
08-23-2009, 01:15 PM
Taken in the spring. I cropped quite a bit of the sky out.
40D
Tripod
Sigma 10-20 @20
1/50s
ISO 400
AV Mode -2/3 EC
Comments Appreciated

Roman Kurywczak
08-23-2009, 04:02 PM
Hi Jackie,
I like the way you used the rock for a base and you placed the tree nicely in the frame. The light looked a little flat and hazy in the valley.....but I think you could tweak that a bit to bring out some more depth......you say you cropped out some sky but it does appear to be a pretty interesting one......did you try either a multiplied layer or a linear burn layer on it?.......might be worth trying out as it will probably bring out some more detail in the sky.......just remember use the opacity slider till you get the desired look. I would be curious to see the rest of the sky.

Jackie Schuknecht
08-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks for the critique Roman, here is the full image. I tried a re-work, I hope it looks better.

Roman Kurywczak
08-23-2009, 07:31 PM
Hey Jackie,
You definitely brought out some sky detail....I do see why you liked the sky....it was very nice but do agree with a crop.....although not as much as the OP.....see the small clouds just above the tree...about 1/2 inch above them seems to work best for me.......check it out and let me know what you think.

Bruce Murden
08-23-2009, 07:40 PM
Jackie, I too like the rework -- you got more out of the image with Roman's hints. To take it a step further, I'd do some masking between layers so that your new effects don't cover all of the hills, especially the MG in the left. I'd like some more detail there. One more tweak ought to bring even more out for you!

Jackie Schuknecht
08-23-2009, 07:43 PM
Thanks so much for the suggestions, I will give it another look. Very helpful comments, thank you both.

Lance Warley
08-24-2009, 03:42 PM
I can't add anything new to the excellent suggestions. I hope you do give it that one more tweak.

Ed Cordes
08-24-2009, 07:18 PM
Great suggestions already. Personally I like the second post with the crop suggestion. Again the layer mask is your friend. Wonderfully dramatic scene.

Morkel Erasmus
08-27-2009, 04:42 PM
love your composition here Jackie! so much detail to absorb on earth and in sky. good suggestions given, I'd love to see your next repost...