PDA

View Full Version : Assignment: Macro - Another Purple Coneflower

Bill Dix
08-23-2009, 12:06 PM
Jackie's Purple Coneflower the other day prompted me to share this one. I was shooting almost directly into the late afternoon sun, which came through the pointed tubes in the flower disk and lit them up like embers. I desaturated the red quite a bit but it still jumps off the screen. Might have been a bit sharper - this was a pretty large crop. Comments welcomed.

D90 with 18-200 VR at 80mm. ISO 500, 1/80 sec @ F/18.0. AF-A, matrix metering, Aperture priority, 0EV.

Bill

Gus Cobos
08-23-2009, 04:17 PM
Hi Bill,
You did quite well considering the harsh lighting, a few points to consider...you have good details but would like to see a slight boost in contrast and saturation to make your lady pop. Would clean up or clone out the traces of weathered flower in between the petals on the lower right hand side, and would have liked to have seen a much more lower capture angle on the flower...when looking through the view finder, try to move around to get different perspective before depressing the shutter...looking forward to your next one...:cool:

Alfred Forns
08-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Agree with Gus The main thing I would like different is the top part, probably would like all flower btw these are sort of fun if you shoot straight down and stop down to the max !!!

Bill Dix
08-23-2009, 05:38 PM
Here it is with more saturation and contrast, and some work on the weathered petal. Sorry I couldn't change the viewpoint in the repost. Thanks for the comments -- I think this does help, although I may have overdone the saturation. I never even noticed the weathered petal.

Gus Cobos
08-23-2009, 06:34 PM
Much , much better Bill, I like it...:D:cool:

Jackie Schuknecht
08-23-2009, 07:11 PM
Like your repost Bill. Good advice given by Gus. Might want to see the caterpillar a bit sharper as it is the main focus?? Coneflowers are almost over up here. The asters are coming out already!!!

Christopher Miller
08-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Good job on the repost, Bill. The saturation doesn't look overdone to me. Agree with Jackie on the caterpillar's sharpness.

Lance Peters
08-23-2009, 09:41 PM
Great advice above - The repost is a improvement.
Good Show :)