PDA

View Full Version : Southern Fulmar at Elephant Island

Ted Kenefick
08-23-2009, 01:16 AM
Hello All,

Haven't stopped by BPN in a while but thought I would throw this one out there. I rather like the feel of it but, as always, welcome suggestions.

Nikon D300
70-200 VR
1.7 Teleconverter
f8
1/1000
ISO 400

Thanks,
Ted Kenefick
Seattle
tgkenefick@msn.com

Lance Peters
08-23-2009, 01:52 AM
Hi Ted - on my screen it looks like it has a blueish cast to it - corrected with Icorrect Editlab pro. Added a tad of sharpening and some slight selective colour tweaks to the reds and blacks..
does this look any better??

Like the pose and the diagonal composition - still looks a little blue in places to my eyes.

Gus Cobos
08-23-2009, 06:44 AM
Hi Ted,
Welcome back...I like the flight angle going into a banking turn, and the direct eye contact...Mr. Peters' repost puts it over the top...looking forward to more...:cool:

Mark Fuge
08-23-2009, 11:04 AM
Nice image Ted.

In addition to the above comments I would suggest you consider adding canvas to increase the open area at wing tips. I've attached an example of one crop option, using the darker grey to indicate the suggested new canvas boundaries. I have the left wing (birds rw) extending to the LLHC. However,

Your image ... your vision!

OvidiuCavasdan
08-23-2009, 01:02 PM
I like a lot the diagonal composition and eye contact. Nice basic image! Agree on extending canvas and color cast.

Alfred Forns
08-23-2009, 04:49 PM
Hi Ted Agree with suggestions ... and can make a couple !!

Would like seeing more room since the bird looks tight in frame. Pose wise you want to see the wings in a different position .. a bird form the side in that pose looks sort of flat Would like the wings up/down, flaring etc Exposure wise did not see the comp but seems a little under, should have had at least one over !!!

Christopher Miller
08-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Very nice comp and pose, Ted. Agree with suggestions, and I would add that I think the eye could use a little more life. Adding a catchlight would probably look unnatural given the overcast light, but might see if there's a highlight in the eye that you could dodge to make it more visible.

Ted Kenefick
08-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Thanks, everyone. Appreciate all the suggestions and the reposts, especially adding the canvas. Good to get encouraging comments as well.

Cheers,
Ted Kenefick
Seattle