View Full Version : Orange Lily

kevinmat
08-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Orange Lily

Canon 5D II 24-105mm @ 67mm with Canon 500D Macro lens
ISO 200, F/16 @ 1 sec

Julie Kenward
08-22-2009, 08:40 PM
Kevin, this is really beautiful. Comp-wise I think if you had twisted the camera about 45 degrees clockwise and pushed that long petal on the bottom more towards the LLC it would have strengthened the comp even more. The lighting and exposure are beautiful - you can really see the different variations of yellow/brown running through the leaves. Gorgeous lily you have here!

Ramesh Adkoli
08-23-2009, 04:06 AM
Excellent details and colors on this, Kevin. It was interesting to note a SS of 1sec. Excellent lighting. There are hardly any shadows. Was it taken indoors with controlled lighting? Just curious to know the details. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Anita Bower
08-23-2009, 05:33 AM
I like the composition, with the flower peeking in from the right. Gorgeous light and color. Great details.

Adrian David
08-23-2009, 09:28 AM
Excellent colors and details! For my personal taste I would crop half of the black empty space from the left...

Ed Vatza
08-23-2009, 10:11 AM
Kevin, this is really beautiful. Comp-wise I think if you had twisted the camera about 45 degrees clockwise and pushed that long petal on the bottom more towards the LLC it would have strengthened the comp even more.

Agree with Julie's comment regarding turning the camera. There just feels like there is a bit too much dead space to the left. Given what you have here, I might crop a little off the left. Otherwise, this is an absolutely stunning image. Beautiful color. Excellent detail. Looks great against the black background. Very well done!

Roman Kurywczak
08-23-2009, 06:29 PM
Hey Kevin,
Great suggestion by Jules as I too and not fond of the space. and alternate would be a vert comp w/o most of the space on the left. Excellent light control.

Bruce Murden
08-23-2009, 07:33 PM
I'm going to join the "crop some off the left" crowd -- but having this much black would be wonderful for an ad or magazine spread where text could go in the black space. Such lovely color and sharpness in this image -- I hope you explored some other angles on this beautiful bloom. Nice job!

kevinmat
08-28-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks for all the comments. I appreciate you all taking the time to post.

I have to agree on the suggestions re. composition. Originally this was one of a number of images taken for using with added text (so blank space top the left was an advantage) - I just didn't think to crop and recompose before posting - I was more interested in comments re. the lighting etc.

By the way the image was taken using ring flash with some added light from the rear of the flower using a shoot through umbrella.