PDA

View Full Version : Sunflower Study

Bruce Murden
08-22-2009, 11:54 AM
I haven't had any luck finding Michigan farmers raising sunflowers, but at least my little patch (2x4 feet or 0.6x1.2 m) grew well this year. I liked the early morning feel of the light here, and welcome your opinions!

Nikon D90 (new acquisition!), Nikkor 105mm macro, ISO 1600, 1/1000 s @ f/9, daylight on partly cloudy morning

Don Lacy
08-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Very nice image Bruce, I like the placement of the Sunflower in the frame and the OOF flowers in the BG. My only suggestion would be to maybe bend the petals in the URC back so they cover the green and you have uniform yellow color across that side of the frame.

Julie Kenward
08-22-2009, 08:28 PM
Beautiful, Bruce! I'd trim the right side right where the green meets the yellow and let the whole image be sunflower. Nice DOF - super crisp in the center and nicely OOF as it moves to the sides.

I really like the angle you chose for this one - not your typical "head on" sunflower image and that makes it extra special.

Anita Bower
08-23-2009, 05:34 AM
Beautifully captured. Gorgeous light and color. I like the details in the center of the flower. Greata composition and dof. Who needs farmers growing sunflowers when you grow such gorgeous ones?

Ed Vatza
08-23-2009, 10:05 AM
Beautiful job on the sunflower, Bruce. The detail is excellent. I too think something could be done with the background on the right. I would either like to see all oof flowers of all green. For some reason, I find the combo a bit distracting.

Roman Kurywczak
08-23-2009, 06:22 PM
I've got to say Bruce that this is a pretty cool angle for a sunflower presentation. I'm going to go with Jules and Ed.....a slight crop on the right.....not all the green.....but that will help strengthen the in your face presentation.

If you want a good chuckle....check out my beer and music blog under my signature.

Mike Moats
08-24-2009, 09:17 PM
Hey Bruce I think came out really nice. Like the comp, details and DOF.