PDA

View Full Version : Marsh warbler

Ben Egbert
08-22-2009, 10:29 AM
Got this shot out in the Palouse around Latah Creek in western Wa state.

50D, 500f4+1.4X at f5.6, ISO400, 1/1600. I was set for BIF and had this brief encounter. I shoot singers in burst mode to catch the exact moment.

After a few weeks at this forum, I can see some flaws not previously noted (thanks to the great critique). I could probably use more head turn for more direct eye contact. Not sure if that would render the wide-open-bill-singing look I did get however. I would appreciate thoughts on that.

There is also the issue of the tail being hidden behind some scruffy twigs.

As with most small birds in the wild this is a pretty heavy crop.

http://www.pbase.com/roserus/image/115851422/original.jpg

LouBuonomo
08-22-2009, 10:56 AM
You gave yourself a pretty good critic. Light is a bit harsh, if you could have shifted to your left you would have had a better angle but sometimes you just can't do that.

I would burn it down a bit and keep it in my files until I had another shot at him.

Ben Egbert
08-22-2009, 11:25 AM
You gave yourself a pretty good critic. Light is a bit harsh, if you could have shifted to your left you would have had a better angle but sometimes you just can't do that.

I would burn it down a bit and keep it in my files until I had another shot at him.

Thanks for your critique. I keep forgetting to go to my web calibration before posting. This was processed with print calibration. The difference is 110CD/mm^2 for web versus 80 for print.

That said, I am beginning to appreciate the slight overcast option for these shots.

Joe Senzatimore
08-22-2009, 12:53 PM
Background compliments the subject very well. My vote is for a little more head turn. This is still a fine image and if it were mine , I would keep it as well.

Daniel Cadieux
08-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Hi Ben, I'll just start by noting that I belive what you have here is a House Wren...

A better HA would definitely be in order...and it would actually enhance the singing pose. With an angle a bit towards us instead you would have a view of inside the mouth, which is always pretty cool to have - plus it is very rare that a "looking away" HA is effective. The rest of your self-critique is bang on, especially with the tangle of twigs obstructing the tail. Not always easy to get them to perch at the perfect place! There might be a slight magenta cast?

I love how the far foot is spread wide open to grip the two twigs!

Ben Egbert
08-22-2009, 01:13 PM
Hi Ben, I'll just start by noting that I belive what you have here is a House Wren...

A better HA would definitely be in order...and it would actually enhance the singing pose. With an angle a bit towards us instead you would have a view of inside the mouth, which is always pretty cool to have - plus it is very rare that a "looking away" HA is effective. The rest of your self-critique is bang on, especially with the tangle of twigs obstructing the tail. Not always easy to get them to perch at the perfect place! There might be a slight magenta cast?

I love how the far foot is spread wide open to grip the two twigs!

Thanks for comments and espcially the bird ID. Not real good at that. These are fantastic birds to hear in the wild, so no problem for me to go back for more.

Others have noted magenta cast on my stuff. I don't see it, but I am sure it is there, I need to load the 50D firmware corerction for this issue.

Ben Egbert
08-22-2009, 01:16 PM
Background compliments the subject very well. My vote is for a little more head turn. This is still a fine image and if it were mine , I would keep it as well.

Thanks for your comments. I have this printed and hanging on my wall. I tend to process more for print than web, and probably need to do dual processing. I currently uprez and sharpen for print, and then differently for web, but even before up or downrez I need a darker image for web than for print.

Axel Hildebrandt
08-22-2009, 02:00 PM
I like the singing pose and sharpness. The new firmware should take care of the magenta cast and adding to the other comments, I would run some NR on the BG.

Joerg Rockenberger
08-22-2009, 08:30 PM
Fantastic background and nice sharpness. Too bad he's facing away. JR

Harshad Barve
08-22-2009, 09:23 PM
awesome pose , killer BG and nice sharpness, Wish for a better HA
TFS

Ben Egbert
08-22-2009, 09:42 PM
I like the singing pose and sharpness. The new firmware should take care of the magenta cast and adding to the other comments, I would run some NR on the BG.

Thanks for your feedback. One thing does puzzle me however. I use a camera profile that I obtained with a MacBeth color chart and a DNG profile. I would expect that this ought to correct any camera induced color cast.

I will update the firmware for sure when I get back from a trip next week. But I will make a new profile afterward. I am wondering if this is happening in post?

Ben Egbert
08-22-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks Harshad and John. I really appreciate your comments.