PDA

View Full Version : Crane banking

Alfred Forns
08-21-2009, 10:10 AM
From Bosque same location as Ron's also in the morning. Sun come up behind and cranes lit up really nice !! Only trick is having the right wind for the birds to fly parallel or slightly toward the road Might add some canvas to this?

Comments welcome and much appreciated

Canon 1DMk2
500 f4.0 IS 1.4X
f 8.0 1/1000 sec
ISO 400
Manual exp

Gus Cobos
08-21-2009, 03:37 PM
Hey Mr. Forns,
I like the close up capture, and the banking angle...the details and color rendition are superb, topped off with a perfect head angle and sharp eye contact...I like the gray sky, which makes your subject pop out...good show...:cool:

Lance Peters
08-21-2009, 06:13 PM
Sweet light and tack sharp - love those wings- -Big Congrats :)

Jeff Cashdollar
08-21-2009, 09:43 PM
Love the texture, this is great use of light and shadows/tones. Moreover, not flat light. I agree, it seems tight to me and he needs room to fly.

wendell westfall
08-21-2009, 10:16 PM
I love the colors on the bird . . . and, yes, I'd add canvas.

Alfred Forns
08-21-2009, 10:20 PM
.. have canvas top and bottom, its a natural vertical I guess the reason I haven't added canvas was it would be turned into a horizontal :) ... this is one I wish I had the camera oriented the other way !!!

Jeff Cashdollar
08-21-2009, 10:33 PM
Al,

I see what you mean. It is a natural vertical and as such one cannot add more room in the horizontal direction w/o changing its natural position. In that context, I see it differently and it has balance.

Ron Boisvert
08-21-2009, 10:46 PM
WOW, Alfred, this is verrrrrrry interesting... I'll be revisiting this image more than once, to be sure. The high contrast really emphasizes the detail you captured. I'll bet you're happy with this one.
Hmmm, as for the canvas, just when I've started adding canvas to all my bird shots because of comments from my first postings about cropping too tightly, you go and post this very tightly cropped shot... Personally, I like it just like it is.
One question this image brings up for me is whether you generally shoot your sunrise and sunset images with Auto White Balance or Daylight balance. I would guess Daylight Balance, for it seems you have the warm tone of sunrise represented here. Have I guessed correctly?
Thanks for sharing this one, Alfred. I've already learned from studying it.

Ron Boisvert
08-21-2009, 10:52 PM
Jeff and Alfred, you both have me confused. What do you mean this is a natural vertical? Al, did you shoot it vertical? Even if it was shot vertical, why can't you add canvas left and right and make it a horizontal?:confused::confused::confused:

Jeff Cashdollar
08-21-2009, 11:25 PM
On second thought let's see it both ways.

My initial thought was horizontal, maybe should have let it go then.

Ron Boisvert
08-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Hi Jeff, perhaps I'm a little dense, and it's late, but IMHO, your comments are indeed Zen-like. I don't know what you mean about the true state or natural state of an image. If Al had shot it as a horizontal as he wished he had, then it's "true state" would be a horizontal?:confused::confused:

I hope Al doesn't mind me reposting his image as a horizontal for comparison. For me, it works both ways.

Alfred Forns
08-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Wow it does look better this way Would have been better as a horizontal without any doubt !!!!

Imagine verticals are difficult for many reasons and you hate to have to convert :)

This illustrates the need to have room for a bird in frame and the room for the bird to move into, great example. Also it illustrates how we get stuck on one image and the way that it should be for many reasons none of which are valid.

Ron I normally shoot in auto wb and tweak as needed while converting, this is as it came out of the camera.

Jeff Cashdollar
08-22-2009, 07:31 AM
I like them both.

Ron's repost loses some detail of the subject which were fantastic but gains a pleasing composition.

Bob Miller
08-22-2009, 02:06 PM
Al...This is one fine image...everything about it is over the top...I do like the horizontal repost of the image. Way to Go!

Jackie Schuknecht
08-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Missed this earlier, just stunning Al. Like Ron's horizontal work. Has the Mark II look: superior IQ.