PDA

View Full Version : Critique this image!!

Dave Mills
08-21-2009, 09:42 AM
Following in Roman's footsteps I would like to hear some feedback on this image, Critiques very welcome.
Shot this with a slide so the only spec I know for sure it was shot at F22 and tripod mtd.

Morkel Erasmus
08-21-2009, 12:08 PM
Hi Dave

I really like the composition here - leads the eye nicely up the falls to the mountain. Gorgeous sky colour and stratus clouds - I wish the water was blurred a bit more though.

John Chardine
08-21-2009, 09:04 PM
Dave- Here's my chance to mention something a photographer said to me once, after I had recommended BPN to them. Their comment was that they enjoyed the site but many of the landscapes in the landscape forum were over-saturated. I think yours would be an example. It's lovely in terms of composition and DoF but is just does not reflect my expectations of what the scene would have looked like (he said boldly, never having been there!).

I'd been interested in some comment on this question of saturation in landscape images.

Ramesh Adkoli
08-22-2009, 04:18 AM
Dave, i like the coverage this image provides and it is quite sharp too end to end. IMO, couple of aspects adversely affect the image: the contrast in the FG rocks is very high due to strong shadows and it does not go with the top half of the image; blue of sky is too saturated and competes with the mountain, the main subject of the image, for attention. But, i like the way the rocks lead the eyes to the mountain. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

David Thomasson
08-22-2009, 07:34 AM
I agree with others that the blues and greens are a bit over-saturated, but the hues also seem not quite right to my subjective eye. I think the greens,
for instance, would be improved with less blue/cyan in them. And the blue of the sky needs a little more red in it.

But words won't do for this. Here's a rendition of what looks about right to me, but these judgments are all subjective, of course.

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/8382/critiquethis.jpg

Kobus Tollig
08-22-2009, 08:19 AM
Ditto Sats but comp is great and water also. Well done on this

Roman Kurywczak
08-22-2009, 08:38 AM
Hey Dave and all,
Dve posted this at my suggestion to get some more interaction and you have all done very nicely. Compositionally....this works very well with the water flow and gully leading you up to Mt. Rainier. I do agree with Ramesh that the FG rocks look a bit too contrasty and that probably is a result of the slide scan.....much tougher to correct in these instances with film......and on my monitor it does need a bit of desaturation....especially on the blues.....nice job compositionally, you just got to go back and tweak some of the PP'ing and very good job all pitching in with the critique......let's see if we can keep going on others.

Dave Mills
08-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Hi Folks, Glad we had so much participation. When I originally posted this I was concerned more about composition than about color shifts and saturation. I thought the left foreground rock might be too dominant.The general consensus seemed to be more towards color correction. I scanned this image and worked on it a number of years ago and am finding that in many scans it's hard to bring detail out of heavy black areas. I feel David did an excellent job of color correction which I feel greatly improved the look of the image. Thanks for all the helpful feedback!!

A_Maddah
08-24-2009, 05:03 AM
Hi Dave.
very nice.good composition and colors.your image give me good feeling.
Thanks for sharing.
Asad