PDA

View Full Version : Ootb Wellington Seascape.

Ian McHenry
08-21-2009, 02:16 AM
Took this image against a powerful wind off the sea.
Was surprised to notice that when resized, looked like could possibly get by without further editing.
Details 1600 ISO, 1/4000 @ F6.7, Minus 0.5 EV 70mm Multi Segment metered.
Comments & reposts welcome.
Cheers: Ian Mc

Ramesh Adkoli
08-21-2009, 03:30 AM
It is a nice composition, Ian. You have captured the crash of the waves well. Couple of things that could improve the image further: the twig at bottom RHS and the partially visible rock on top RHS are distracting - a pano crop avoiding both these could help; the image needs a bit of sharpening as it is soft; you could do some shadow/highlight steps in PP to balance the whites of the waves and shades on the rocks. TFS.

regards,
ramesh

Ian McHenry
08-21-2009, 05:07 PM
Thanks Ramesh
Appreciate lots of good suggestions.
Have converted to a pano. Also midtones,Topaz micro contrast and some sharpening.

Ramesh Adkoli
08-21-2009, 10:18 PM
I felt the repost is too contrasty and oversharpened. I took a dig at it and here is the result. I cropped from top and bottom, used shadow/highlight adjustment, dodged the dark areas of the rocks and sharpened only little bit. Hope you do mind my playing around with it. let me know what you think.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2673/3843765529_f25ab97e81_o.jpg

regards,
ramesh

Ian McHenry
08-22-2009, 06:56 AM
Thanks Ramesh
I did feel I had overcooked the Pano and yours was the result I was after.
You have made a much cleaner image and the colour of the water looks a lot better.
Appreciate your good work.

Ian McHenry
08-22-2009, 07:45 AM
While I still feel that Ramesh's pano has given image more depth decided to stick with my previous crop and darkened it quite a bit.
Thanks again Ramesh.

Roman Kurywczak
08-22-2009, 09:03 AM
Hi Ian,
Ramesh gave some good advice and I liked his re-post. You may want to try a S/H adjustment on the rock area and then a seperate one on the splashing waves....taming the highlights more but keeping some of the splash brighter....to really make it stand out. The re-post shows a crop off the bottom.....and the top back and clone/patching of the rock out.....if you are OK with that......otherwise the crop is the right move.....and seperate adjustments of the rocks and splash with levels and S/H. Compostionally this is a very good idea....but I feel you can find a stronger splash area to convey the sense of power more.
PS I like the depth of your water splash more except for the highlight

Ian McHenry
08-22-2009, 04:54 PM
Thanks Roman.
Appreciate the detailed advice.
Unfortunately my PSE skills are not up to the fine tuning !!!
However will have another tinker @ it on another day.
Meantime I have added a copy to my " More editing" folder.